Hi all! Newbie from LI, NY

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miza
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Miza

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2013
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Location
Long Island, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm a 55 y/o teacher from Long Island, NY. I've always had an interest in fish keeping, but all of my past experience has been with fresh water. Last year I was asked to teach an elective Marine Studies class. We decided to start a small saltwater tank and I've been addicted ever since.

I currently have a 29 gallon tank with 30-35 lbs of live rock and 4 - 6 inches of live sand. I have a Fluval 306 canister filter, Fluval powerhead circulator, T-5 lights, heater, and a Prism protein skimmer hanging uselessly on the back because I've never been able to get it to work properly!

My fishy friends include: 2 Clownfish (1 reg, 1 "snowflake"), 1 Pajama Cardinalfish, 1 Firefish, 1 Leopard Wrasse, 1 Cleaner Wrasse, and 1 Yellowheaded Jawfish. My "clean-up" crew consists of 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 2 turbo snails, 1 Banded Coral Shrimp, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, and 1 Peppermint Shrimp. I also have 2 small hermit crabs that hitchhiked in on some live rock. I also have 1 2-headed Duncan Coral and a small Long tentacled Torch Coral.

I know I have a lot of guys in their, so I do bi-weekly, 25% water changes and test my water regularly.

I'm VERY interested in learning more and this forum was recommended by a friend
 
Welcome to R2R!! Can't wait to see some pics of your tank!! :)
 
Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new