Hi Calcium Hi Alkalinity

toothman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling hi alkalinity for the past week or so and let it naturally decrease from 16 to about 11. I kept my calcium reactor off during that period of time and had turned it back on last week. Yesterday I test my alkalinity and calcium and they were both hi, 16 and 558. So off went the reactor. When calcium is hi alkalinity usually drops but I can't seem to get it balanced. Any and all help would be appreciated. Amazingly enough I'm only have problems with a couple of sps while most are doing ok but not great. LPS are a problem though, lost a couple of wellsophyllia and a good part of a beautiful Duncan

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything at all or just using the reactor? I would turn that off completely and do some water changes until your parameters stabilize.

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you are burning through media to fast. you need to turn up the ph on your controller once your alk and ca are in check

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what is your salinity during this process? I would imagine you would have mass precipitation of Ca with those high levels.

OP
OP
toothman

toothman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is 1.023 and I have not seen any calcium precipitate. Really strange. pH is about 8.0-8.1 sailfert test kit.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your mag at? I would imagine it is rather high if you are not seeing calcium precipitation.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the calcium reactors to increase alk more then calcium. But that's just what I heard.

my .02

OP
OP
toothman

toothman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well did a 50% water change on my 300 gallon with natural seawater. Hopefully this will help get everything back to where they should be. Will be testing everything again tomorrow.

Back