Hi I’m looking for advice on reefing.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I discovered the world of reefing and want to switch from saltwater to freshwater. I have a 40 breeder which is ready to start being set up. For stocking I’m thinking a pair of ocellaris, a dwarf angel, an anthias, a Midas Benny, a Royal gramma, a goby bonded with a shrimp and 3 damsels. I don’t really know what corals I wanna do yet, for equipment I’m thinking a aqua clear 70 and a sebao 1600 gph powerhead and a sera 130 protein skimmer and a current orbit 170 any advice on stocking, equipment or planning would be greatly appreciated if you want to add my discord: Noah #0359

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @NoahLikesFish ! Welcome to R2R! lots of information here to soak up. The only potential problems with your stocking list might be the damsels (aggressive fish) and the anthias (difficult to keep healthy bc they require multiple feeding every day). I would replace the hang on filter with another wavemaker since you plan on a skimmer.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I use the filter that came with the aquarium just to polish the water? It’s a plastic top fin one but pretty long, I could make it into a fuge and put bioballs, sponge and floss too So I can overfilter. Could I do a puffer Or something instead I’m going to focus mostly on easy corals, I really like anthias fish, I might try different fish instead of damsels and I’m able to feed 5x a day easy

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have the hang on then that’s perfectly fine to use. Most puffers get really large but the genus Canthigaster would suit your tank size.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I was thinking what lighting can I do the cheapest, I am only doing softies and easy stuff so I don’t need too much PAR I’m open to doing diy

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I was thinking what lighting can I do the cheapest, I am only doing softies and easy stuff so I don’t need too much PAR I’m open to doing diy
Mars aqua and viparspectra are a popular choice among reefers when the big dollar lights aren’t being used. I have 2 viparspectras on my 90g and I’m happy with them.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back