Hi. Is this a Gorilla Crab?

andrespgc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, when the lights went out i saw this some sort of crab. Maybe a Gorilla Crab?

If yes, how to get rid of it?

EB932DB3-97E4-495C-BFE8-3104FFB905C5.jpeg

Thanks
IMG_7589.jpeg

Attachments

• 277D62AD-7126-47C6-A345-06B66651885D.mov
    17.2 MB
Last edited:

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have bristles on it? It looks like a porcelain crab to me but I can’t tell from the image if it has bristles. Gorilla crabs’ bristles resemble the hair on a gorilla, hence the name.

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have pointy claws with black tips? Pic of one I captured in my tank for reference:
IMG_1863.jpeg

I caught mine when moving my tank. I removed all the other ricks first, then lifted up its favorite rock and it was clinging to the underneath and I got it with some tweezers.

You can also try a small shot glass leaned up against its favorite rock with a small piece of frozen scallop or similar. You’ll also catch a lot of blue legged hermits that way, lol

IMG_1841.jpeg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trapezia acro crab

Harmless, possibly beneficial infact, hitchhiker that live on acropora and pocillopora corals. They come in many colors to match their host. Its common in wild collected fragments to have one of these guys.

1691744340711.png

1691744384132.png
Thats is an interesting crab. I'd like to have a couple for my 25 lagoon. Time to go read.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just work with the government to ID UFO pics :D

I can see the serial number on all those big foot robots they keep releasing in forest just to distract hillbillie's from politics for a little while. They're property of the white house.

Thats is an interesting crab. I'd like to have a couple for my 25 lagoon. Time to go read.

They need acros to survive afaik, they're available commercially at a few places not sure how often in stock (used to be quite often, the market shifting from wild collecting to fragging corals more and more definitely slowed them down). I had one that came on a medium sized birdsnest frag. They do no harm they kinda just find a spot in the branches and chill there, I think they share the food with the coral itself and help protect it from other animals.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the serial number on all those big foot robots they keep releasing in forest just to distract hillbillie's from politics for a little while. They're property of the white house.

They need acros to survive afaik, they're available commercially at a few places not sure how often in stock (used to be quite often, the market shifting from wild collecting to fragging corals more and more definitely slowed them down). I had one that came on a medium sized birdsnest frag. They do no harm they kinda just find a spot in the branches and chill there, I think they share the food with the coral itself and help protect it from other animals.
I did a load of reading on them. They also clear detritus for them and eat the corals mucous secretions. I have a acro dominant SPS only reef. It needs some time to mature but once I have a couple sizeable colonies I may drop a couple in.

Looks like reef cleaners has them from time to time.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That specific crab is called a Bandit Crab because it has like a black bandana around its face, but they are safe and symbiotic with acro corals defending the coral in exchange for eating coral mucus etc.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back