Gorilla Glue reef safe?

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought some gorilla super glue gel XL and was wondering if I could glue a couple of corals I have down with it. Is it reef-safe? I previously used Corrafix glue, but gorilla glue is easier to get and cheaper. Thank you!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought some gorilla super glue gel XL and was wondering if I could glue a couple of corals I have down with it. Is it reef-safe? I previously used Corrafix glue, but gorilla glue is easier to get and cheaper. Thank you!
Used it for every coral in my DT for years.

IMG_0510.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put on a dab, then hold it in a cup of water for 60 seconds then stick and hold.

That’s so it creates a skin over the dab.

Do not let any drip in the DT or you can end up with a fish with glue on his mouth.

Enjoy, very much cheaper, really strong when set.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you! Is it safe to let it cure in the tank?
I’ve had no issues whatsoever curing in my tank over 5 years or so. These mostly held by gorilla glue. Everyone happy. Just no drips in DT, one drip floats around and looks like a food item. As long as it’s on the piece, you’ve dipped the glue ball in water, your good to go.
IMG_2019.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had no issues whatsoever curing in my tank over 5 years or so. These mostly held by gorilla glue. Everyone happy. Just no drips in DT, one drip floats around and looks like a food item. As long as it’s on the piece, you’ve dipped the glue ball in water, your good to go.
IMG_2019.jpeg
Beautiful tank! So I can put glue on the frag plug and glue it to the rock as long as there is no rouge glue in the water?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! So I can put glue on the frag plug and glue it to the rock as long as there is no rouge glue in the water?
Thank you.

Yup, it’s that’s easy.
If you can turn flow off 1 hour that makes it easier.
You’ll need to hold it in place until it with sit/stand on its own. Maybe 2 minutes. You’ll feel it.
Then in an hour, turn any flow on.
It will be super strong after 24 hours.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their technique. Whatever works for you. I put the glue on the frag and let it dry out of the water for 45-60 seconds before putting it in the tank.

Then I place it where I want it and hold it for 45 seconds. I wave my hand in the water in front of it and if it doesn’t move, it’s good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Used it for every coral in my DT for years.

IMG_0510.jpeg
This has come up a few times and while safe I recommend gel super glue which is less apt to break off within tank based on adhesion and surface coverage. I also prefer to let it be exposed to air for curing opposed to within tank but ach individual has their own preference and outcome

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful what you're saying. The answer to the question that you titled this thread with is NO. Gorilla Glue is not reef safe.

Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane based adhesive that will kill everything in your reef tank.

Gorilla Glue branded Super Glue is a licensed methyl 2-cyanoacrylate adhesive that is reef safe. You're buying Super Glue from a different manufacturer that's the only difference.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back