Hi..new to this forum and reefing

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, my name is Jennifer and I live in Phoenix, AZ. I am new to reefing but did have 4 tanks (3 fresh and one salt) prior to having kids. They grew up and left me (those brats) and now I have a bit more time on my hands. I am a software/database developer by day for a major airlines. I just got back from a trip to Maldives and snorkeling and diving every day made me realize how much I missed having a tank. I have never had a reef tank or any corals so I have a LOT to learn.

I purchased a Coralife Biocube 32 LED to keep things simple and have already upgraded the media basket as well as add an ATO and wavemaker. I'm sure there will be more down the road. LOL. I am currently in the nitrite stage of cycling ....tank has been up for about 8 days so I have a ways to go.

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions along the way. Here is resort that inspired me to get back into the hobby:
HWV-2-2.jpg

MyTank.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, Jennifer!

That aquascape looks great - both massive and open at the same time. (The Maldives resort looks pretty tempting as well, though!)

I hope you find this place as welcoming, friendly and educational as I have - and don't hesitate a moment to ask _all_ the questions!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...I was on another forum (sorry) and they are super nice there as well and already had questions regarding the stability of the top rock. It's actually tilting backwards and resting a bit on the back wall. They gave me the go ahead as far as not needing to further stabilize it.

I feel like I take a few steps forward then one back...then forward again lol. It's been so fun actually learning something new. Thank goodness for forums and the internet, last time around it wasn't so easy.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...I was on another forum (sorry) and they are super nice there as well and already had questions regarding the stability of the top rock. It's actually tilting backwards and resting a bit on the back wall. They gave me the go ahead as far as not needing to further stabilize it.

I feel like I take a few steps forward then one back...then forward again lol. It's been so fun actually learning something new. Thank goodness for forums and the internet, last time around it wasn't so easy.

Use some Underwater Epoxy Putty like Aqua Stick or 2little fishies and glue that top rock to the bottom rocks. It will help give your fishes more room to swim behind and also help eliminate dead spots as water will flow better behind your rocks.

OP
OP
Jenyphur

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use some Underwater Epoxy Putty like Aqua Stick or 2little fishies and glue that top rock to the bottom rocks. It will help give your fishes more room to swim behind and also help eliminate dead spots as water will flow better behind your rocks.

Thanks I will do this. Silly question (sorry), can I take the rock out and glue it and then just stick it back in or do I need to do this all underwater?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum. U could glue the rock out but bringing it back in without it breaking off is difficult.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take mine out and putty them. I will usually press some small rubble rock into the putty to help hide the epoxy and for additional support. The epoxy comes in colors red, green and white.

If it breaks off while replacing just push the putty back in when the rock is in place.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back