High alkalinity and calcium

nicks8201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a issue the last month or so with my high alkalinity and now my calcium is high now too.and my ph keeps dropping. I had a bunch of my corals die recently and not sure if it was from this. all I have left are zoas which are doing great, torch that won’t really open and GSP that won’t open anymore. I do 10% water changes every week. What am I doing wrong here?

75 gallon tank with Red Sea coral salt
alk: 14
Calcium:520
Ph: 8.2
Phos: 0.25
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 ppm
Temp:72

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing at all? The Red Sea pro coral salt is designed to make the tank have quite high amounts of Calcium and a high alkalinity level. I would consider taking a break from the Red Sea salts. Temp is low I would move it to 78-80 degrees. I would cut the ammonia down to zero. 0.25 is not a good number to have it at. your Ph is quite well actually! 8.2 is a great number to have it at.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I was consistently at 8.2 pH. Calcium is a little high as is alk. I had the same problem initially due to an overreaction to a bad test kit. If you're not dosing I would slowly, slowly transition to RS Blue Bucket. Those levels will be more in line with your goals.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrate your refractometer/salinity probe then see if you can borrow someone else's. If both are elevated, it's very often caused by high salinity.

OP
OP
nicks8201

nicks8201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m not dosing , see I was told that the blue bucket wasn’t good for the corals. And I been trying to get the ammonia down but no luck and I been using prime, I’m using the API Test kit can that be a bad kit

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back