OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, all my softies seem to be doing quite well despite whatever is happening. My zoas are still growing and mushrooms look fine. I don't know if that helps at all.

The problem with the 20% water change is that it increases my alk by a considerable amount. Even my 10% water change usually increases my alk. I suspect at some point this will level off around 11, since that's what the salt supposedly mixes at. Also, the chemipure is already in there, should I add another bag of carbon?

My nitrates are around 10ppm and phosphates around .1

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the bacterial bloom is the issue. I got a few lps such as trachyphyllia and some euphillia with 10 dkh and there's no issue. I'd get an airstone to get some oxygen into the water and work on killing off that bloom with some of the methods people have mentioned.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, all my softies seem to be doing quite well despite whatever is happening. My zoas are still growing and mushrooms look fine. I don't know if that helps at all.

The problem with the 20% water change is that it increases my alk by a considerable amount. Even my 10% water change usually increases my alk. I suspect at some point this will level off around 11, since that's what the salt supposedly mixes at. Also, the chemipure is already in there, should I add another bag of carbon?

My nitrates are around 10ppm and phosphates around .1
I don't think the alk is your issue. Carbon and chempure take care of different things. Right now just need to work toward getting your water cleared up.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the alk is your issue. Carbon and chempure take care of different things. Right now just need to work toward getting your water cleared up.
This is the type chemipure I'm using. I thought by the looks of it that it was mostly carbon. I don't have a great understanding of what carbon does other than removing toxins, but I have a bag I can toss in if that's going to help.

I'll prepare to do another 20% water change this week too then. I'll continue dosing the microbacter7 daily. Should I look into getting a UV sterilizer too? Maybe use vibrant?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk and low nutrient not a good combo. The waters cloudy from the coral die off. You can let it stabalize the ride out but depending on how much money you have in corals. U might wanna do the wc with the blue bucket and mix with ur red or black or whatever. Hths. I use IO purple lid. Dont switch salt brands yet till things stabalize. You will only stress more imo by going to fritz or another mix.
D
D

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk and low nutrient not a good combo. The waters cloudy from the coral die off. You can let it stabalize the ride out but depending on how much money you have in corals. U might wanna do the wc with the blue bucket and mix with ur red or black or whatever. Hths. I use IO purple lid. Dont switch salt brands yet till things stabalize. You will only stress more imo by going to fritz or another mix.
D
D
His nitrate was at 10 which isn't low. Here's my tank using coral pro salt. Nitrates between 15 and 20, and I dose alk every day to keep it between 9 and 10

Attachments

• 16212748884271387299813891111698.jpg
    16212748884271387299813891111698.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ur tank is cycled. I wouldnt add or find any need to add any more bottle bacteria. Or bio diversity bottle stuff to the tank.
D
To my understanding, bacteria does more than just processes ammonia into nitrates. I was under the impression that having better biodiversity would help clear up the bloom. It mentions it on the bottle. It isn't exclusively for uncycled tanks.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my understanding, bacteria does more than just processes ammonia into nitrates. I was under the impression that having better biodiversity would help clear up the bloom. It mentions it on the bottle. It isn't exclusively for uncycled tanks.
Usually this is accomplished from adding live rock. Like when I started I got live wet rock from 4 different LFS in my area.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could have done that, but didn't realize it would make such a huge difference. I was more focused on avoiding pests and skipped the live rock. I didn't realize a bacterial bloom could cause problems like this. I hadn't heard anything like this on any of the information I've consumed thus far. It does seem to be a persistent problem though. Luckily it hasn't bothered my fish yet.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I've been having some issues with my tank lately detailed here:

I primarily have LPS in my tank and through a series of events my Alk has wound up at 10 dKh. Now that my alk is this high, nearly all my corals are struggling or dying. I was talking with a friend lately that was telling me LPS don't like alk levels that high and I should consider switching salt to slowly bring my alk down to the 7-8 dKh range. When my alk was around 8-9 I didn't have these issues.

Do any of you have success keeping LPS with alk levels this high? Do I bother switching salts, or should I just let things stabilize at 10dkh? Things are looking quite bad now and have only gotten worse in the past week since the alk increase.
I use Red Sea Coral Pro my alk stays at 9.7 - question for you, what percent is your WC did this start happening after a water change?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could have done that, but didn't realize it would make such a huge difference. I was more focused on avoiding pests and skipped the live rock. I didn't realize a bacterial bloom could cause problems like this. I hadn't heard anything like this on any of the information I've consumed thus far. It does seem to be a persistent problem though. Luckily it hasn't bothered my fish yet.
Live rock and quarantine practices are a personal choice. I view it as you miss out on all the benefits for being terrified of getting something that there are ways to take care of.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had been sitting around 9.5 alk when I started to see issues on my trachy. I had only been doing my regular 10 % water changes at that point.

In the other thread I asked for help in they suggested I raise my salinity to 1.026 from 1.024. I topped off with saltwater for 2 days and then did a 20% water change. Right around that time everything got significantly worse. All went from 9.5 to 10.1 in two days or so.

I actually have very little problem algae in the tank at all. Just film on the glass.

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the type chemipure I'm using. I thought by the looks of it that it was mostly carbon. I don't have a great understanding of what carbon does other than removing toxins, but I have a bag I can toss in if that's going to help.

I'll prepare to do another 20% water change this week too then. I'll continue dosing the microbacter7 daily. Should I look into getting a UV sterilizer too? Maybe use vibrant?
I personally wouldn’t do a 20% wc. You might stress things out more.. I would ride it out.. also pick a salt mix and stick to it!

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had been sitting around 9.5 alk when I started to see issues on my trachy. I had only been doing my regular 10 % water changes at that point.

In the other thread I asked for help in they suggested I raise my salinity to 1.026 from 1.024. I topped off with saltwater for 2 days and then did a 20% water change. Right around that time everything got significantly worse. All went from 9.5 to 10.1 in two days or so.

I actually have very little problem algae in the tank at all. Just film on the glass.
Also lower your flow and light intensity if they losing flesh

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back