High alkalinity how I bring it down?

Chandlertank108

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I been dosing kalkwasser to my tank.
my current parameter
Alk 13.1
Mag 1350
Cal 440
Ph 8.3
This is the current test that I did last night. I notice that my alk high so I stop dosing kalkwasser from my ato last night. I notice 2 of my hammer seem not happy since yesterday and I saw some calcium build up on the sump from that I know it cause of high Akl level. How I can fix this problem and bring my Alk level down? Thank you

Last edited:

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite article on the subject...

I think you should be okay waiting for the alk and calcium to start to drop. Just keep measuring and you can start dosing kalk once it's lower (but probably lower the dosage).

OP
OP
Chandlertank108

Chandlertank108

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... and double check your test kit, especially the Alk!!
I use salifert I got alk reading at 13.1 and with Red Sea I got reading at around 10 dkh. I know some test kit have margin error. I think I’ll just wait till the level down like you say. What good level or water parameter for lps dominated tank?
thanks

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read this today regarding dosing Muratic acid to reduce Alkalinity.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/high-alkalinity-help.592717/#post-6012391

I would dose the total calculated amount in very small increments over a long period of time and observe each before proceeding to the next dose. I have not tested this yet but may do so with a test of 1 gallon to confirm.

Alternatively Water Changes are usually never a bad thing when trying to reduce the total concentration of anything in a tank.

Brian barranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9D73B793-6DFF-4A52-98B0-F9EFECE066AF.png

Brian barranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I read this today regarding dosing Muratic acid to reduce Alkalinity.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/high-alkalinity-help.592717/#post-6012391

I would dose the total calculated amount in very small increments over a long period of time and observe each before proceeding to the next dose. I have not tested this yet but may do so with a test of 1 gallon to confirm.

Alternatively Water Changes are usually never a bad thing when trying to reduce the total concentration of anything in a tank.
Slowly bring it down. And wait for awhile before adding to the tank . Drops ph

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't need to start dosing muratic acid! Especially if your alk is closer to 10. Even if it's 13, it's not like its out of balance with your calcium at this point.... I could see Alk over 14 and caclium around 350-400 being a problem... but you're not there. You don't need to deal with pH swings, and instability. And even if you had alk 13dkh and caclium was lower like 350... i would dose calcium and let the alk come down on its own.

Patience is always better... don't run off trying to correct things too fast.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't need to start dosing muratic acid! Especially if your alk is closer to 10. Even if it's 13, it's not like its out of balance with your calcium at this point.... I could see Alk over 14 and caclium around 350-400 being a problem... but you're not there. You don't need to deal with pH swings, and instability. And even if you had alk 13dkh and caclium was lower like 350... i would dose calcium and let the alk come down on its own.

Patience is always better... don't run off trying to correct things too fast.
Fair point on the Patience Thing. Usually not dosed enough

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously not touch it. Turn off whatever you've got that's adding it, and let it get down to the level you want. Shouldn't be more than a day and a half, which is honestly how slow you'd want to go with any other method anyway. Don't fight chemical imbalances with other chemicals if you don't have to.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back