High Alkalinity

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing 2-part and everything has been mostly fine until the last week. While I'm in the 8-12 range, I like to keep between 9.5-11. This past week I've been consistently over 11 despite adding no alkalinity via the Dosetronic.

The pump for my Kalk reactor goes on at pH 8.25 and off at 8.3. It runs about every hour and a half for about 15 minutes at 60ml/M. I'm using Avast kalkwasser original formula, if it makes a difference.

The Alk had consistently held in the 10-11 range, occasionally going over 11 but then coming back down. Since the 14th it has not come back down. When it's over 11 it no longer adds any Alkalinity, and I have confirmed this both by the Dosetronic log and visual inspection of the reservoir.

Can someone explain why this would be happening? One possible factor is that with springtime, the windows have been open more, thus reducing CO2 levels in the house.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be lots of things.

I’m not sure which is typically most controlling for the kalkwasser (low pH or high pH) but if the lower air CO2 makes that controlled processes deliver more of the time than it previously did, then the alk may rise.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back