High, but stable nitrates even with NOPOX

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I downsized to my 180 I tried bio pellets, in the first picture you will see two large colonies of hybrid frogspawn and regular. In a month they lost 90% of there heads. I pulled the bio pellet reactor and a year later everything is doing great (2nd picture)

180 bio pellets4-3-16.jpg

180 - 10-30-17.jpg

OP
OP
IanMauger

IanMauger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped my dose from the max for my tank of 9ml (3ml/25g) down to 5ml per day. My NO3 still hovers around 10ppm after slowly dropping it. I am no longer seeing any slimy bacteria build up and my water is no longer cloudy throughout the day. My skimmer seems to be pulling a bit more garbage out. I typically skim wet and the color at 9ml dose was the light tea color, now without an adjustment to the height and still skimming wet I’m pulling a much darker brownish/dark green.

I orginally was having issues with my SPS losing color and turning pale. Now my Alk/CA/MG are all in check and don’t swing, temperature hangs between 80.4-80.8°, once it hits 80.8° the fans kick on to drop the temp slightly. So my thinking isn’t chemistry or even nutrients, I believe it’s my lightning. Have 2x Kessil a360we lamps. Due to my hood height, the distance from the water is 4-5”. I knocked them down to 45% intensity at its peak. Down from 50%. Anything above 50% fries everything.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back