High nitrates.

douglasbnyhof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having nitrate issues in my 150 mixed reef. They’re hovering over 50 ppm. I feed 1 cube of food with a feeder. I’ve done 4 water changes this week and cannot get it to drop. I have an algae for the first time in years. I believe it caused 2 anemones to die. Skimmer is going wild. I’m dosing 10 ml Nopox. Running a skimmer and macro algae. No dead fish. Any ideas?

Klemmetsmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I carbon dose, which generally keeps things in line, but I also use a sulfate nitrate reactor. I feed a lot and don’t do a lot of detritus clean up. :cool: :zany-face:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having nitrate issues in my 150 mixed reef. They’re hovering over 50 ppm. I feed 1 cube of food with a feeder. I’ve done 4 water changes this week and cannot get it to drop. I have an algae for the first time in years. I believe it caused 2 anemones to die. Skimmer is going wild. I’m dosing 10 ml Nopox. Running a skimmer and macro algae. No dead fish. Any ideas?

I don't know if 50 ppm nitrate killed an anemone, but lowering nitrate is a fine plan.

How long have you been dosing the NOPOX?

OP
OP
douglasbnyhof

douglasbnyhof

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if 50 ppm nitrate killed an anemone, but lowering nitrate is a fine plan.

How long have you been dosing the NOPOX?
Dosing the nopox for a week now. I wasn’t sure if the nitrate killed the nem but it’s a weird coincidence. I had 2 and both died within a week of each other around the time when the nitrate started going too high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing the nopox for a week now. I wasn’t sure if the nitrate killed the nem but it’s a weird coincidence. I had 2 and both died within a week of each other around the time when the nitrate started going too high.

The NOPOX can take quite a while to drive down nitrate.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me about 5 months to go from 50ppm to 10ppm with manufacture dose recommendation of Nopox.

Still dosing half as much, 5 years later.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use this calculator https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectOfWaterChanges.php.
and you can figure out how to decrease it. There could be a problem with your tests as well - however that didn't cause an anemone to die - unless somehow it was nearly immediate

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back