HIGH CAL and Extremely LOW MAG...with PHOTOS

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers...I am having a hard time trying to figure out, what is going on with my system. I have seen my numbers stayed steady for CAL in the Low 500's and I have not dosed any Calcium in over one month, Magnesium hover in the 1230's...(I am dosing Aquaforest new lab version) and my ALK is in a comfortable range for me. I recently switch salt from RED SEA to Tropic Marin Reef...something I used in the past...and went in favor of Red Sea because RS was cheaper. Not sure what the deal is...DOS is setup and doing what it is designed to do and even with 135mL of MAG dosing, it still doesn't go past 1250...I am trying to get it up to 1300. I use Aquaforest (new lab 3 parts component ALK, CAL & MAG) along with BlueLife Clear FX/Pro and Reef with healthy growing Cheato. 120 gal with 40 gal sump. Some of my zoas are not looking as bright as they normally would be....That big spike on 10/10 is from me Calibrating the Trident this past Saturday with the values they have (8.10, 430 and 1260)..PH average from 8.10 -8.25

alk.png cal.png mag.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some perspective, 1230 ppm magnesium is not particularly low. It matches natural seawater at 33.6 ppt (sg = 1.0254). If you want to raise it, that certainly is a reasonable plan. if salinity is less than 35 ppt, raising salint9y may be the easiest way.

The calcium is not a concern, but I agree not dosing it for a bit is a fine plan.

Finally, these comments assume those values are correct. Test error is very common.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back