High Alkalinity Consumption on a extremely low load system

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DT has been using approximately 1.65 dkh of alk and 11 ppm of cal per day by dosing .66 gallons of saturated kalk at night and 100 ml each of BRS Soda Ash 2 part (Randy’s Recipe 1 I believe) and 200ml of Tropic Marin Part C during the day. I am concerned that 1.65 dkh of Alk is high consumption with the low coral load and only a tiny amount of coralline. I have had some clumping of my sand, which I assume is due to precipitation, but only a small amount of buildup on heaters and return pumps. The sand clumps break apart easily and are not the “Concrete” hard kind which I had in other tanks many moons ago.
While I am getting a ph bump at night from the .66 gallons of kalk, I am still losing about .25 dkh of alk at night which gets made up during the day by the 2 part.
About the System
130 Gallons of water volume with 4 fish and 2 corals. DT has had water in it for about 10 months and fish for about 1 month. I had fish in it previously but due to disease and fallow period it has been 1 month for this go round. The 2 corals have been in the DT for about 4 months. I am running a lifegard pro-max uv sterilizer - 55 watt at 325 gpm for fish disease. My skimmer is plumbed to draw air from the outside and I have an ERV on my HVAC system which keeps indoor CO2 down to 600 to 800 ppm (as opposed to over 1,000 without the ERV)
Parameters as of this morning with no dosing last night or today
  • Alk 7.84 dkh (Neptune Trident)
  • Cal 402 ppm (Neptune Trident)
  • Mag 1417 ppm (Neptune Trident)
  • PH 8.24 fairly constant by dosing the kalk at night (8.08 this morning since stopping dosing)
  • PO4 .08 ppm (Hanna ULR)
  • NO3 0.0 (Hanna)
  • Salinity Normally 1.025 but have been slowly raising to 35ppt (Increasing Salinity so my water change salt mix mixes to 9dkh and 450 cal)
  • Salt mix was using Tropic Marin Pro but switched to HW-Marinemix Reefer because it mixes closer to the parameters I am targeting 9, 425~, 1380 - 1400
Fish
  • 2 Mocha Gladiator Cowns approximately 2 inches and 1 ½ inches
  • 1 Ruby Longfin Wrasse approximately 3 inches
  • 1 Marine Betta approximately 1 ¼ inch
Coral
  • Ora Duncan approximately 9 heads
  • Blastomussa approximately 5 heads

I stopped dosing the 2 part, TM Part C and Kalk last night due to my concerns about precipitation. Do you think I should keep the dosers off for now to see if things stabilize or turn them back on because the volume I am dosing is acceptable for my system? On a side note, I turned off my ReefMat last night to try to get my nitrates up and maintain po4 at an acceptable level.

FTS
20240316_095803.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through a no dose period to break any precipitation cycle sounds good.

Heres my standard plan:

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through a no dose period to break any precipitation cycle sounds good.

Heres my standard plan:

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.
Thanks Randy, after my reading I found where you have said that before so that's why I stopped dosing. It's good to have you confirm my actions.

Am I correct in assuming 1.65 dkh of Alk is too much for my low load?

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy, your confirmation allows my OCD brain to chill and move forward. Do you think I should disconnect my outside air line from the skimmer to further decrease ph?

OP
OP
esquare

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought of something else, I use a Neptune DOS to do a 1.5% daily water change. Should I stop that for the time being as well since it is adding higher alk mix (8.5 to 9 dkh)? It probably has little effect but would probably speed up the process a little if I stopped it, correct?

Also, when will I know it is safe to start dosing again, when the alk consumption drops and levels out? Can I start raising the PH when I start back dosing or should I hold off on that for a while? If hold off raising the PH, when should I start back raising it?

Sorry for all the questions, I firmly believe that if something is worth thinking about, it's worth overthink about, LOL.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back