High calcium and low alkalinity in a previously stable reef tank

DRob604

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have a 300g mix reef aquarium with a moderate coral load. I have been dosing 50ml of each 2 part: calcium chloride and bicarbonate from an automated dosing pump. The alkalinity has been fairly stable at 10 dKH for the last year. The calcium has been far less stable, but was previously sitting at around 500 ppm, until a few months ago when it starting creeping up. It got up to almost 600 ppm. At this point the alkalinity also started to drop down to around 8 dKH. I finally decided to stop dosing equal amounts, even though everything I have read says that is the way to keep things balanced. The alkalinity now is 10.2 dKH and the calcium is 460 ppm, which seems good, but I am concerned about not dosing equal amounts of two part. I turned off my dosing pumps for 24 hrs and calcium only dropped by 10 ppm, while alkalinity dropped by 1.0 dKH. So they are obviously not getting used at the same rate.

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on this? Coral growth in my tank is alright, but definitely not great and also there is not that much coralline algae growth. I also have a bryopsis algae problem if that could somehow be connected. The only things I can easily think of is that sometimes the calcium chloride seems to precipitate a bit and is cloudy when I add it to the dosing container :/ Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have a 300g mix reef aquarium with a moderate coral load. I have been dosing 50ml of each 2 part: calcium chloride and bicarbonate from an automated dosing pump. The alkalinity has been fairly stable at 10 dKH for the last year. The calcium has been far less stable, but was previously sitting at around 500 ppm, until a few months ago when it starting creeping up. It got up to almost 600 ppm. At this point the alkalinity also started to drop down to around 8 dKH. I finally decided to stop dosing equal amounts, even though everything I have read says that is the way to keep things balanced. The alkalinity now is 10.2 dKH and the calcium is 460 ppm, which seems good, but I am concerned about not dosing equal amounts of two part. I turned off my dosing pumps for 24 hrs and calcium only dropped by 10 ppm, while alkalinity dropped by 1.0 dKH. So they are obviously not getting used at the same rate.

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on this? Coral growth in my tank is alright, but definitely not great and also there is not that much coralline algae growth. I also have a bryopsis algae problem if that could somehow be connected. The only things I can easily think of is that sometimes the calcium chloride seems to precipitate a bit and is cloudy when I add it to the dosing container :/ Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan
how far apart are your dosing tubes and whats the timing on calcium vs alk. If they are dosed to close together then they can precipitate.

I have also never had them stay in balance as far as dosing. Can't remember the exact reason but I think it was something to do with magnesium and or trace elements being used in addition to the two parts by your corals for alk?

OP
OP
D

DRob604

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how far apart are your dosing tubes and whats the timing on calcium vs alk. If they are dosed to close together then they can precipitate.

I have also never had them stay in balance as far as dosing. Can't remember the exact reason but I think it was something to do with magnesium and or trace elements being used in addition to the two parts by your corals for alk?
Yeah I have them set 30 minutes apart, so I don't think that is the issue. The precipitation I mentioned was just cloudy calcium chloride before mixing. Not sure if it is a quality issue or what, but it seems to get cloudy easily.

That is interesting. From what I've read everyone says you should be dosing equally. Coral will use some magnesium for their skeleton I believe. Also, other elements make up the alkalinity in the tank besides just carbonate, but they are such a small percentage that I don't think they would a reason to not dose equally.

Thanks for the reply!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No brand, just calcium chloride and baking soda

Then you can't do even amounts. The only time you can do even amounts are when the product makers design it that way. If you want even amounts, consider some brand names like esv b ionic.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use this calculator, it will show you the correct levels of Alk and Calcium to dose equals amounts. You can't just use arbitrary levels and expect to dose equal amounts. I run alk at 9.0 and calcium at 425 and I am able to dose equal amounts and not have to correct very often.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you can't do even amounts. The only time you can do even amounts are when the product makers design it that way. If you want even amounts, consider some brand names like esv b ionic.

That's not entirely true, it depends on how he's mixing the 2 concentrates. Randy has recipes to mix the correct ratios so that he can do equal dosing.

However in this case, it doesn't sound like it.

Oh interesting. I hadn't heard that. Thank you!!

How are you mixing the calcium chloride and baking soda to achieve equal dosing?

Take a look at this article that explains how to create the proper ratios so that you can achieve an equal dosing regimen

OP
OP
D

DRob604

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend something like kalkwasser instead then? I imagine my system is unbalanced from dosing with two separate chemicals for awhile. Or would there be a way for me to continue using those and make sure it is balanced?
Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh interesting. I hadn't heard that. Thank you!!

If you want some 2 parts I can let you know. Otherwise I can recommend some soda ash and calcium chloride that has a calculator for how much to put in
Would you recommend something like kalkwasser instead then? I imagine my system is unbalanced from dosing with two separate chemicals for awhile. Or would there be a way for me to continue using those and make sure it is balanced?
Thanks!

I have never used kalkwasser as I prefer using just a caliums and alk additive on their own. You can just let you levels fall into place or just do a water change to get you calcium to drop.

OP
OP
D

DRob604

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use this calculator, it will show you the correct levels of Alk and Calcium to dose equals amounts. You can't just use arbitrary levels and expect to dose equal amounts. I run alk at 9.0 and calcium at 425 and I am able to dose equal amounts and not have to correct very often.
Thanks. What are you using to dose? I wasn't using arbitrary numbers though, but I would just dose an amount of equal calcium chloride and baking soda that kept my levels stable at my desired parameters (10 dKH and 450 ppm cal). They were stable for quite awhile and more recently have become less stable with rising calcium
That's not entirely true, it depends on how he's mixing the 2 concentrates. Randy has recipes to mix the correct ratios so that he can do equal dosing.

How are you mixing the calcium chloride and baking soda to achieve equal dosing?

Take a look at this article that explains how to create the proper ratios so that you can achieve an equal dosing regimen

Yeah I have just been dosing equal concentrations. In this case, 50ml each of baking soda and calcium chloride in 1L of dechlorinated freshwater. My levels were stable for a long time doing it this way, but maybe there was an underlying imbalance
Cheers!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True you can find a ratio to mix them, but I am referring to how OP is doing it

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What are you using to dose? I wasn't using arbitrary numbers though, but I would just dose an amount of equal calcium chloride and baking soda that kept my levels stable at my desired parameters (10 dKH and 450 ppm cal). They were stable for quite awhile and more recently have become less stable with rising calcium
I use BRS pouches. I will switch from soda ash to bicarbonate when it runs out because my PH is naturally 8.3 and the soda ash keeps causing a big bump.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP needs to learn about making (or buying) balanced dosing solutions and use them that way. There's no reason to switch to kalkwasser.

In the meantime, stop dosing calcium and just just alkalinity when it is needed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

DRob604

View Badges
Reaction score