High Calcium and Magnesium

Mattgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning All

i test regularly every Sunday morning and the last few weeks noticed how high my calcium and magnesium are. Currently not dosing anything to the tank and using Red Sea Max Coral Pro. Salinity is also slightly high but will be doing a 10% water change today.
Shall I mix to a slightly lower salinity to balance or just mix to my normal 35ppt?

Have a handful of small frags in the tank both SPS and LPS but nothing of significant size and all seem to be doing well and showing signs of growth.

Copy of todays parameter

AADF8206-380A-4D7E-9935-98EBD1A8C0AF.jpeg

Any advice would be great or does everything seem ok and I leave the levels to settle naturally

Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mix it to your normal salinity if only those are high. Otherwise you will lower every other element.

On a side note, consider finding a means to having a higher pH. 7.9 is rather low. Out of curiosity, Do you know what it goes to at night time?

OP
OP
Mattgee

Mattgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mix it to your normal salinity if only those are high. Otherwise you will lower every other element.

On a side note, consider finding a means to having a higher pH. 7.9 is rather low. Out of curiosity, Do you know what it goes to at night time?
Actually not sure about that. Will look to take a reading around 10pm uk time tonight. Any suggestions on best and easiest way to raise ph?

OP
OP
Mattgee

Mattgee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing that could account for those high values?

if not, then I would just lower the salinity.
Hi Randy; thanks for your reply.
currently not dosing anything at all. Have just done another test using the Hannah ph tester and its come back at 7.8. It’s currently midday here in the uk and I recalibrated the unit this morning. Have done the water change yet as was awaiting advise on what best salinity level to work too.

thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy; thanks for your reply.
currently not dosing anything at all. Have just done another test using the Hannah ph tester and its come back at 7.8. It’s currently midday here in the uk and I recalibrated the unit this morning. Have done the water change yet as was awaiting advise on what best salinity level to work too.

thanks

I'd allow the salinity to drop to 35 ppt.

DOJOLOACH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this exact same issue and I'm fixing it now. Turns out my refractometer was wacked out of calibration by 4 ppt!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this exact same issue and I'm fixing it now. Turns out my refractometer was wacked out of calibration by 4 ppt!

Honestly I rarely use my refractometer because my hydrometer measures the same and I don't have to calibrate it lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually not sure about that. Will look to take a reading around 10pm uk time tonight. Any suggestions on best and easiest way to raise ph?

Refugiums, alk supplements like soda ash, etc. can help.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back