High dkh

Acemann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey my dkh is 13 and I have like 6 LPS corals in my dt. I’ve been lowering it slow, it was at like 15 at some point and I’ve been using ro/di water filter on it to so I’m not sure what to really do? Maybe I have to change my filter out in my ro/di? Honestly I have no idea but my corals are growing like crazy not sure why. I do have api reef master testers maybe the tests just aren’t accurate enough? I’m gonna get some Hanna testers soon. But anyway is there anything else I can do? I am a little concerned though because I made homade reef rocks out of cement then cured them in water for over 6 months to make them poris (This is probably so confusing to read).
My setup:
100 gallon
50 gallon sump
Corals I have
Xenia
Zoanthids
Kenya tree
Cotton candy torch
Frog spawn
Toxic green monticap
Fire shrimp
2 clownfish

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first would get your water tested from a more accurate and trusted test equipment . Take a sample to your lfs unless they use API . Your dkh isn’t too high at this point and normal water changes should bring it to what your aiming for . Also check the salt your using and if your mixing your water correctly and your getting up to 15 then I would try to mix the salt in it’s own container as settling can occur from the manufacturing and shipping which can throw off your mix . Hope this helps .

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just went through something similar. I let my Alkatronic dkh auto tester run out of reagent for a several months because it seemed I was pretty dialed in.

I was using Saturated Kalk water for all top off and it wandered up slowly to over 14 dkh in the time I had stopped testing. I stopped the scheduled stirring of my Kalk reactor and just let it slowly come back down natrually. I'm currently at 11.55 dkh in about 7 days

In that time (I'm guessing i was running that high for at least 2 months.) my SPS corals were growing crazy fast with a PH hovering around 8.35 at peak. My LPS have been fine as well but I did notice that my Zoa's started to fade pretty fast and what was once huge colonys over 100 polyps I am left with only a few polyps of several different morphs.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back