High dos

SharkSlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reefer 625 with 5 lips and 3 sps. And a bunch of Zoas. I am currently dosing 400 mL of alkalinity and 250 mL of calcium. I use The Apex trident to test and back up with manual testing. This seems way too high. However if I cut back the numbers immediately begin to drop. I try to maintain 8.1 DKH and 480 calcium. I maintain 1440 on magnesium. I use BRS 2 part. Any help would be greatly appreciated I cannot figure out why it is so crazy high.

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure mate, however that is a lot higher than I dose. I have approx 35 corals, mostly SPS, (all frags or mini colonies though) and am only dosing ~100ml/day

OP
OP
S

SharkSlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for that reference. Going to dial it back and let it settle. It has to be participating out and getting filtered

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making my best guesses on things like your water volume, a I get a usage of about 4 dKH per day (that's what I prefer to see in such a question). That is on the high end, even for an SPS tank.

Are you certain you are dosing that much, and it is not a dosing pump error?

Do you see excessive precipitation on pumps and heaters? Sand hardening? Sulfur denitrator?

Assuming you are dosing what you think, there must be precipitation somewhere, and to reduce it, here's my general recommendation to stop the cycle of excessive dosing:

Stop dosing and let the alk decline to the mid 6 range of dKH.

When you restart, use sodium carbonate to let the pH decline. Stop any other efforts to raise pH. Stop organic export, such as Purigen, or GAC. Possible stop or reduce skimming. Make sure magnesium is adequately high. Let phosphate rise (if you are reducing it). Reduce lighting in a refugium to allow pH to drop more and nutrients to climb. Make sure calcium is not too high.

After several days to a week, restart alk dosing slowly and limit it to 7 dKH for a while.

OP
OP
S

SharkSlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use Neptune apex. So sure it is correct. I will try above. Thank you.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use Neptune apex. So sure it is correct. I will try above. Thank you.

The pump itself may not be dispensing what you are expecting of it. That is a common problem.

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For comparison: Our display tank is 300 g, has been running 18 months with 27 coral frags, mostly LPS. Our first corals were added this past January and have grown some. Most all of our rocks are covered in coralline which I understand consumes a lot of magnesium in its growth. These are screenshots of our Trident and DOS (Seachem Fusion 1 & 2). We dose AquaVitro IONs for magnesium manually. The targets are: alkalinity 8-9, calcium 420, magnesium 1380-1400.
fullsizeoutput_166a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_166b.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SharkSlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah clearly I am overdosing. I do have large clumps of sand that are hard. Is it possible this is from overdosing. Is this because I’m overdosing or is this consuming all of my two part thanks again for everyone’s help

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah clearly I am overdosing. I do have large clumps of sand that are hard. Is it possible this is from overdosing. Is this because I’m overdosing or is this consuming all of my two part thanks again for everyone’s help

It does not really mean you are overdosing, but it means you want to stop the ongoing precipitation, as described above.

BlueZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, something seems way off. I have a 210 gal tank with mostly LPS and I am slightly under what Nanj is using. I haven’t had trident control it just yet but make my own manual adjustments and it’s seemly pretty stable. I am also using Seachem Reef Fusion 1/2.

might have missed it but what are you dosing? Possible if you are doing a DIY recipe the mix is off? You calibrate Trident recently?

OP
OP
S

SharkSlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is weird I have stopped dosing everything alkalinity has dropped but calcium and magnesium are increasing I am using Neptune triton to test so likely accurate

OP
OP
S

SharkSlayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, something seems way off. I have a 210 gal tank with mostly LPS and I am slightly under what Nanj is using. I haven’t had trident control it just yet but make my own manual adjustments and it’s seemly pretty stable. I am also using Seachem Reef Fusion 1/2.

might have missed it but what are you dosing? Possible if you are doing a DIY recipe the mix is off? You calibrate Trident recently?
I am dosing brs 2 part. Yes I did calibrate it recently and checked it with Red Sea test kit as well. What is weird stopped dosing everything 2 days ago all dropped to 6.7 and calcium and magnesium are increasing.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back