High - hat and other drums

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell from my limited research on high - hats(Pareques acuminatus), they are reef safe, crustacean risk fish that primarily eats soft - bodied prey by stirring up the sandbed, and require lots of space to hide. Adults or very young juveniles have a history of not surviving collection. However, I have also heard reports of this fish being difficult to feed. Does anyone have experience with these fish and any of their relatives(Pareques spp., Equetus spp.)? My lfs can apparently get these on order, but I'm uncertain whether these are easy to take care of. I run an 80gal reef and most information I've seen says they're fine in this volume.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience. I see black worms and brine recommended on this site.
My Saltwater Fish Store

"It requires a peaceful community in a larger aquarium with a sandy substrate, and abundant hiding places. It tends to hide during the acclimation process to the new aquarium until it feels safe. Regular meals consisting of a variety of live items such as black worms and brine shrimp and prepared meaty items should bring it out of hiding. The Hi-Hat will comb the sandy bottom looking for worms, crustaceans, and small fish if it is hungry. It may even eat the occasional fireworm."

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience. I see black worms and brine recommended on this site.
My Saltwater Fish Store

"It requires a peaceful community in a larger aquarium with a sandy substrate, and abundant hiding places. It tends to hide during the acclimation process to the new aquarium until it feels safe. Regular meals consisting of a variety of live items such as black worms and brine shrimp and prepared meaty items should bring it out of hiding. The Hi-Hat will comb the sandy bottom looking for worms, crustaceans, and small fish if it is hungry. It may even eat the occasional fireworm."
Yeah worms and shrimps are the typical foodstuff for them, they should theoretically do fine on brine and mysis and scraps of pellet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back