High - hat and other drums

Alpha_and_Gec

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2023
Messages
743
Reaction score
480
Location
Vancouver, BC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I can tell from my limited research on high - hats(Pareques acuminatus), they are reef safe, crustacean risk fish that primarily eats soft - bodied prey by stirring up the sandbed, and require lots of space to hide. Adults or very young juveniles have a history of not surviving collection. However, I have also heard reports of this fish being difficult to feed. Does anyone have experience with these fish and any of their relatives(Pareques spp., Equetus spp.)? My lfs can apparently get these on order, but I'm uncertain whether these are easy to take care of. I run an 80gal reef and most information I've seen says they're fine in this volume.
 
I have no personal experience. I see black worms and brine recommended on this site.
My Saltwater Fish Store

"It requires a peaceful community in a larger aquarium with a sandy substrate, and abundant hiding places. It tends to hide during the acclimation process to the new aquarium until it feels safe. Regular meals consisting of a variety of live items such as black worms and brine shrimp and prepared meaty items should bring it out of hiding. The Hi-Hat will comb the sandy bottom looking for worms, crustaceans, and small fish if it is hungry. It may even eat the occasional fireworm."
 
I have no personal experience. I see black worms and brine recommended on this site.
My Saltwater Fish Store

"It requires a peaceful community in a larger aquarium with a sandy substrate, and abundant hiding places. It tends to hide during the acclimation process to the new aquarium until it feels safe. Regular meals consisting of a variety of live items such as black worms and brine shrimp and prepared meaty items should bring it out of hiding. The Hi-Hat will comb the sandy bottom looking for worms, crustaceans, and small fish if it is hungry. It may even eat the occasional fireworm."
Yeah worms and shrimps are the typical foodstuff for them, they should theoretically do fine on brine and mysis and scraps of pellet.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new