OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although carbon may or may not be the only cause, captivity is the key. Fish in the sea don't get it. But of course we don't use carbon in the sea. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I actually have documented two cases of HLLE in fish in the wild: a juvenile emporer angel in a black sand area and a black longnose tang. The latter was photographed with a strong flash, so that made it stand out more, but the emperor was a classic case. I suspect the volcanic black sand may have been the cause.

Jay

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I stand corrected. I dove for over 50 years and never saw it, I guess I just wasn't looking closely. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

But if they got it in the sea, someone must have dumped in an awful lot of carbon. :anguished-face:

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I stand corrected. I dove for over 50 years and never saw it, I guess I just wasn't looking closely. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

But if they got it in the sea, someone must have dumped in an awful lot of carbon. :anguished-face:
I think the volcanic sand had some effect on it. The angel photo was by David Doubiliet (spelling?) for National Geographic.

Jay

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we ask questions about potential myths?

If so, do sea hares actually crash tanks when they get stressed or die? I have never had one die, so I don't personally know, but I see this all of the time on the internet, but I cannot remember ever seeing anybody post about it happening.

Is this a myth?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we ask questions about potential myths?

If so, do sea hares actually crash tanks when they get stressed or die? I have never had one die, so I don't personally know, but I see this all of the time on the internet, but I cannot remember ever seeing anybody post about it happening.

Is this a myth?

IDK for sure, probably depends on species. But, some sea hares can "ink" and that is a huge problem. I've had them shrink away due to not having the proper food, and when those die from starvation, they don't seem to cause any problems.

Two related topics are sea cucumbers killing tanks when they stress out and evert their guts and then boxfish releasing toxins and killing fish....both of these things happen, but usually with freshly caught animals. That may be like poison dart frogs that are highly toxic when they first come in from the wild, but captive ones are not as toxic.

I pretty much focused on fish myths, since that's my area of work.

Jay

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank You for taking the time to add to this forum, I read through this whole post and found everything very interesting, some of these myths I have heard, but the majority I have not, nonetheless all the information mentioned is great, Thank You again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back