Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

What do you feed your finicky fish? (select all that apply)

  • Live foods

    Votes: 56 29.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

    Votes: 147 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

    Votes: 41 21.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

    Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Other

    Votes: 15 7.9%

  • Total voters
    189

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2014
Messages
25,006
Reaction score
174,208
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

It may be a new fish to your tank that hasn’t settled in yet, a fish that had an injury in or around its mouth, or a fish that is just picky - sometimes fish just don’t seem to want to eat what you are feeding them. Sometimes they show no interest in food that is put in the tank, or they may take the food in their mouth and then spit it out again. If this has been your experience, please tell us what you feed your finicky fish. Sometimes it may be live food, frozen meaty food, a softer pellet, or some other type of food that catches their attention. Being a picky eater isn’t necessarily bad, but it may take some extra work for the caretaker. Let us know how you navigate finicky fish!

SoccerBag_Fish.jpeg

Photo by @soccerbag

For additional information, please consider reading the R2R article about feeding finicky fish.


This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png


“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"
 
Garlic helps everything. Get them eating in QT and get them fat. Then the display transition is easier
Can you point to any evidence that garlic makes any difference? I have used it multiple times over the years with no positive results
 
My LFS usually has live blackworms and those wriggly things appear to be a temptation that is quite difficult to resist. Yes, they're freshwater, but so long as you don't go overboard on feeding them, they're a good way to at least get something into Picky-Picky's belly.
 
Can you point to any evidence that garlic makes any difference? I have used it multiple times over the years with no positive results
There is evidence that it helps with enticing a fish to eat. There is also scientific evidence that it supports managing parasites.
 
There is evidence that it helps with enticing a fish to eat. There is also scientific evidence that it supports managing parasites.
My reading is that there are papers saying it can help - and papers saying it does nothing. Lots of people (including me) - use/used it. In my case just one of many - anecdotes - saying both. As far as I know, garlic is useful (purported) as an appetite increaser - as compared to anything to do with parasites - except the issue with garlic potentially increasing immunity in general.
 
My reading is that there are papers saying it can help - and papers saying it does nothing. Lots of people (including me) - use/used it. In my case just one of many - anecdotes - saying both. As far as I know, garlic is useful (purported) as an appetite increaser - as compared to anything to do with parasites - except the issue with garlic potentially increasing immunity in general.
I was just going off a few papers off of Humble Fish forums. I've only used it to increase appetite. I've heard it can cause damage with long time use.
 
My LFS usually has live blackworms and those wriggly things appear to be a temptation that is quite difficult to resist. Yes, they're freshwater, but so long as you don't go overboard on feeding them, they're a good way to at least get something into Picky-Picky's belly.
Black worms are super healthy food for your fish.
It’s funny, ever since COVID, there is literally none available in my region ever anymore
 
Can you point to any evidence that garlic makes any difference? I have used it multiple times over the years with no positive results
I can say that I had some fish come in which I added to QT, an anularus angel and a marbles cat shark. I added them in a 75 gallon QT with pvc, and neither was showing any interest in eating. After two days of this, I started soaking the food I was feeding in garlic guard and the very next feeding they became excited and actively seeking within seconds of the food hitting the water. I know this is anecdotal, but I also see the fish in our tanks that we feed a garlic enriched nori become active as it goes in. Not just the herbivores but everyone starts hunting. This behavior is different from their collecting when I set everything to feed mode. Most of the fish in our tanks collect, sometimes like clock work before I shut anything down, but the energy appears different once the garlic hits the water.
 
As others have said, it may be anecdotal, but the stinky garlic stuff has worked for me every time I've needed it to.
 
Can you point to any evidence that garlic makes any difference? I have used it multiple times over the years with no positive results
(Ajiboye, O.O., Yakubu, A.F., Simpa, J.O. and Balogun, S.A., 2016. Effect of Garlic-Supplemented Diets on Growth Response, Survival, Nutrient Utilization and Body Composition of Monosex Tilapia zillii. World, 8(2), pp.115-122).
 
I am currently raising a baby engineer goby and nursing a malnourished Mandarin, I use newly hatched baby brine, and when I put that in the tank or into the feeders a full feeding frenzy breaks out with my other fish. Something about a small easy to catch meal really helps.
 
(Ajiboye, O.O., Yakubu, A.F., Simpa, J.O. and Balogun, S.A., 2016. Effect of Garlic-Supplemented Diets on Growth Response, Survival, Nutrient Utilization and Body Composition of Monosex Tilapia zillii. World, 8(2), pp.115-122).
I think you mis-read my comments - which stated there are positive and negative (and neutral) opinions about garlic - in my first post. Either way - here is a nice review article that goes through many of the advantages. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10420702/
 
Can you point to any evidence that garlic makes any difference? I have used it multiple times over the years with no positive results
I’ve never used garlic for my tank, but I have used this stuff and it definitely works. :p

IMG_5205.png
 
Thanks - works for what? Starting fish to feed, immunity something else>
lol. In retrospect I see I made it seem as though I fed my fish with it. Not at all the case. I use it to catch trout. It’s garlic flavored and works well for its intended purpose.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new