High magnesium related to high specific gravity

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy thank you for all the help you have given me I started a new thread with a new question related to everything with magnesium from my last post.
Maybe I should have put it with it this is where I am at and I just measured a water sample at 1.025 SG and Mg was 1280 ppm.
But looking at it with the handheld refractometer it may have been 1.026 and then my Mg is off the chart.
I also have the Milwaukee digital refractometer I'm starting to think that my biggest problem is my sg another person I was talking to did the numbers from my ICP test and told me my sg was high also the test showed high magnesium.
Maybe I should just set my sights on 1.025 SG and stop beating myself up over this????????

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1280 for Mg is pretty darn close to natural Sea water concentration. Bumping your SG from 1.025 to 1.026 will slightly raise your Mg, but not enough to be concerned about. You can have a wide range of Mg without issue.

Sit down in front of your tank, relax, and enjoy your livestock. IMHO, you're worrying way too much. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. 1280 ppm is perfect match for 35 ppt, sg = 1.0264 seawater.

it is a bit elevated for sg = 1.025 seawater match, but is still fine.

I do not recall what the ICP test said about salinity.

Back