ppt 35
temp 78
po4 .03
no3 20-30
alk 8.5
cal 450
mag 1250

ok so i not totally sure how to proceed
obviously my phosphates being .03 there pretty low i want to lower my nitrates but very concerned i could bottom out my phosphates and create other issues . should i dose phosphates and keep my normal export procedures and see if i can get down these nitrates or is everything ok and just continue with things as usual corals seem to be fine my sps getting discolored abit believe the nitrates are
20211208_175244.jpg
causing this any insight would be helpful

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows everything look?

Don't get hung up on a number, if everthing looks healthy, colorful, and growing, I wouldn't sweat it.

My tank runs between 15 and 20 ppm of nitrate, and 0.1 to 0.2 phosphates and I have 0 issues.

The ATS should be dropping the nitrate number, unless your adding more then it can absorb? You could try harvesting it a bit more often to see if that helps any.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do anything if the tank is fine and I would keep phosphate below 0.03 and you’ll avoid many of the problems we constantly read about.

Id probably raise the magnesium to around 1300-1350 but that’s my personal preference

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows everything look?

Don't get hung up on a number, if everthing looks healthy, colorful, and growing, I wouldn't sweat it.

My tank runs between 15 and 20 ppm of nitrate, and 0.1 to 0.2 phosphates and I have 0 issues.

The ATS should be dropping the nitrate number, unless your adding more then it can absorb? You could try harvesting it a bit more often to see if that helps any.
sps a bit of discoloration but not all of them

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients as well as lighting plays a major factor to SPS color.

If you like that dry pastel look(close to death), then by all means lower your nutrients. If you like your coral to be healthy, then they need nutrients. Ever read stories where peoples coral never looked better a day or 2 before it all went to heck in handbasket?

Poll the SPS section, and I think you'll find most of who we consider "guru's" keep their parameter somewhere close to mine(I'll admit my phosphates are a bit high, but they are of no concern to me or my coral, and this is where my tank likes to run).

Like I said, don't get hung up on a number, stability in those numbers is way more important then an actual number.

OP
OP
Groovyg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients as well as lighting plays a major factor to SPS color.

If you like that dry pastel look(close to death), then by all means lower your nutrients. If you like your coral to be healthy, then they need nutrients. Ever read stories where peoples coral never looked better a day or 2 before it all went to heck in handbasket?

Poll the SPS section, and I think you'll find most of who we consider "guru's" keep their parameter somewhere close to mine(I'll admit my phosphates are a bit high, but they are of no concern to me or my coral, and this is where my tank likes to run).

Like I said, don't get hung up on a number, stability in those numbers is way more important then an actual number.
ok sounds like possibly lighting and flow maybe my issue over nutrient export

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow, specially for SPS, I would almost put in front of lighting when talking SPS parameters.

I think you'll find WWC agrees with me, as they did a video recently about the importance of flow for SPS.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back