High nitrates, low phosphates. What to do?

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CoRPS
I too had the same problem awhile back. Dosing Seachem is the best thing you can do at this point.
The the following formula will get you to where you want to be with it.

0.8vp=m
V= volume of tank in gallons
P= Desired phosphate increase
M= The volume of product to use to get you the result you want

This is super helpful, I am in the same situation. The volume (M), is that in ml?

JCrowe86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CoRPS
I too had the same problem awhile back. Dosing Seachem is the best thing you can do at this point.
The the following formula will get you to where you want to be with it.

0.8vp=m
V= volume of tank in gallons
P= Desired phosphate increase
M= The volume of product to use to get you the result you want

So I dosed the beginner amount per the instructions on the bottle and a day later I still have undetectable phosphates. How frequent should I dose and how long does it normally take to get a reading? Using salifert kit, haven't sprung for a Hanna checker yet.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! You want to get your nutrients balanced so you don't need to use chemicals to keep them in check.

Once your PO4 comes up, you will notice that your chaeto will start growing and your nitrate will come down. Once your PO4 stay in a range of 0.05-0.10 without dosing, your nutrients will be balanced. At that time, you should be able to maintain your nutrients with your fuge by managing the size of your chaeto ball.

After that time, don't worry to much if your nutrients get low, just trim your chaeto. If the chaeto is growing, your corals will have enough nutrients to grow. You will get a feel for your tank with time. :)
Definitely agree here. I had nitrate in the 20-30 range and low po4 from my own doing. I did some wcs to bring no3 down and allowed po4 to slowly rise on it's own. Now that po4 has stabilized my no3 has continue to drop on its own

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dosed the beginner amount per the instructions on the bottle and a day later I still have undetectable phosphates. How frequent should I dose and how long does it normally take to get a reading? Using salifert kit, haven't sprung for a Hanna checker yet.

be careful and go real slow. Follow the instructions exactly on the bottle, as you’re doing. I actually hooked my bottle up to my dosing pump and I had it dose throughout the day for about the first week. After the first week I was measuring close to .1 phosphate, which stayed at that level for a while. Of course things like water changes, granular Ferric oxide and protein skimmers, as well as coral and algae uptake will deplete your phosphate level. Test your phosphate a few times a week and don’t go too hard too fast. I have to dose phosphate several times a month as I too will bottom out and my SPS hate it

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 118g total volume and dose Seachem Flourish 1.5ml per day (via a doser) to maintain .03 via ICP test. My Hanna checker still doesn't measure any phosphate for what it's worth..

OP
OP
C

CoRPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I dosed a tiny amount last night. Something like 0.25ml. And checked my po4 when I got home (just a few minutes ago) and I’m measuring 0.02 on the Hanna ULR. I’m going to dose the same 0.25ml? Sound like a plan? Is anywhere between 0.05 and 0.1 my goal?

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I dosed a tiny amount last night. Something like 0.25ml. And checked my po4 when I got home (just a few minutes ago) and I’m measuring 0.02 on the Hanna ULR. I’m going to dose the same 0.25ml? Sound like a plan? Is anywhere between 0.05 and 0.1 my goal?
What type of corals?

OP
OP
C

CoRPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of corals?

100% mixed. I’ve got birdsnest, monticaps, Duncan’s, hammers, zoas, digis. One of the caps is dead/dying and the digis aren’t looking too great. So far the stylos and birdsnest look great. All other corals look good as well.

Edit: actually I forgot to mention my acans don’t look great either but I’m thinking that has something to do with the angelfish. Could be wrong here.

Last edited:

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% mixed. I’ve got birdsnest, monticaps, Duncan’s, hammers, zoas, digis. One of the caps is dead/dying and the digis aren’t looking too great. So far the stylos and birdsnest look great. All other corals look good as well.

Edit: actually I forgot to mention my acans don’t look great either but I’m thinking that has something to do with the angelfish. Could be wrong here.

you need to find your sweet spot. For me it’s about .08-.10. Any lower and my acropora starts looking dull. I actually lost a part of a monti cap through STN and I attribute it to my phosphate bottoming out. Raised it back up STN stopped. Some will get algae at .05 and some won’t. Dose until your coral start looking better.
I’m a firm believer that running an acro tank, or any tank for that matter, at 0 to very little phosphate has a a negative effect. At least it does for me.
Good luck sir.

OP
OP
C

CoRPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to find your sweet spot. For me it’s about .08-.10. Any lower and my acropora starts looking dull. I actually lost a part of a monti cap through STN and I attribute it to my phosphate bottoming out. Raised it back up STN stopped. Some will get algae at .05 and some won’t. Dose until your coral start looking better.
I’m a firm believer that running an acro tank, or any tank for that matter, at 0 to very little phosphate has a a negative effect. At least it does for me.
Good luck sir.

Thanks brotha

Btw I’m in Clermont as well

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing here.
Running a fuge as primary export.
If I don't dose phosphate, my nitrate climbs.

Also similar in that the first few doses failed to get me to detectable levels on the hannah.
Someone gave me a very in depth, scientific explanation... but basically, the tank is starved for it and sucked it right up.
I actually went through a full bottle of the seachem stuff in just over a week. Nitrate dropped like a stone, so yeah, go slow.

I'm hoping for the stability some of the peeps who replied originally suggest can be achieved, but that hasn't happened yet and Seachem is expensive. Have had good luck with trisodium phosphate from loudwolf. The smallest size they sell will last you forever.

OP
OP
C

CoRPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing here.
Running a fuge as primary export.
If I don't dose phosphate, my nitrate climbs.

Also similar in that the first few doses failed to get me to detectable levels on the hannah.
Someone gave me a very in depth, scientific explanation... but basically, the tank is starved for it and sucked it right up.
I actually went through a full bottle of the seachem stuff in just over a week. Nitrate dropped like a stone, so yeah, go slow.

I'm hoping for the stability some of the peeps who replied originally suggest can be achieved, but that hasn't happened yet and Seachem is expensive. Have had good luck with trisodium phosphate from loudwolf. The smallest size they sell will last you forever.
Good info man thank you. I’ll keep an eye on everything. Much appreciated

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back