High nitrite that just won't come down!

Laisper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm at a bit of a loss with my newest set up. I acquired an oceanic biocube 29, my first nano, (which I completely tore apart and made a completely new sweet rimless setup ;)), I modified the filtration by taking all stock parts out, now has a HOB skimmer, inTank water redirector, media basket with polishing pads and Chemipure elite etc. Lights are AI Prime HD which run on a 10 hour schedule. Anyway.

I began cycling the tank on March 22nd with 36 lbs live oolite, 10 lbs of dry rock, 5 lbs of live Haitian, 15 gallon of virgin Red Sea water and 5 gallons of non virgin Red Sea water from an established 230 gallon mixed reef that has been running since 2005. I also regularly microdosed microbacter.

It originally cycled in 16 days, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and then nitrate 0.5. I conducted a 5 gallon water change and ever since that day my Nitrite will not drop below 0.5, and my Nitrate is staying a steady 5.0 although my ammonia is 0. Did I accidentally cause it to cycle again with a water change? Never experienced this before! Any advice or insight welcome!

20180403_225042.jpg

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! Im not sure why your nitrite won't go down. It very well could be still cycling and wouldn't hurt to dose more bacteria. You could wait until nitrates rise to about 10ppm then it should be good to go ( in my experience ). What are you using for ammonia source?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t sweat the nitrite. It’ll drop and isn’t harmful , just an indicator.

No3 isn’t a big concern either at this point.

What test kit ?

OP
OP
Laisper

Laisper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! Im not sure why your nitrite won't go down. It very well could be still cycling and wouldn't hurt to dose more bacteria. You could wait until nitrates rise to about 10ppm then it should be good to go ( in my experience ). What are you using for ammonia source?

Hey! Thanks for the reply. When I started cycling I used the good old fashioned rotting shrimp method. Now I have a small clean up crew which I feed masstick that they can graze on.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Test kits are API :).
I got those too!!

Pretty much a some and none usually. I do test a couple times if the reading is odd.

But if the ammoina is zero and it’s been a month or so you should be good for fish.

The only thing I can think of that may make it off , mb7 has a light carbon dose (like vitamin c vodka vinegar )as a booster. could have been just a little extra bacteria food.

Totally off topic , there’s a cat who makes sweet mesh / acrlyic lids for those tanks. Octo aquatics. He’s a sponsor here and you can find him on the web.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take your water to your LFS and have them check it. Always get a second and third opinion when you are getting out range readings.

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it sounds like a dodgy test kit to me (false zero last time, .5 is right this time or vice versa)

OP
OP
Laisper

Laisper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it sounds like a dodgy test kit to me (false zero last time, .5 is right this time or vice versa)

I have actually tested with kits other than mine to remove this variable. I've also used salifert kits and the API kits that I use for the reefs in my store :).

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is, I run my LFS :p

I better not suggest taking it to a different LFS ;)

Sorry, it's got me stumped (why your nitrite remains constant, yet the nitrates aren't going up at all) despite feeding an ammonia source and having zero ammo...

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently you can't trust your nitrate reading whilst you have nitrites, perhaps your tank is slowly cycling still and nitrates are actually creeping up?

Back