High no3 and po4

Pardsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I begin this post just know that I have been keeping reefs since 1987 so when I say my parameters are all good they are all good. With the exception of my nitrates and phosphates. Nitrates 25 and phosphates 0.61. I've decided that one way to get them both lower is to dose red sea no pox. Anyone have an experience to share with the use of this. Another question anyone dosing this in addition to either GFO or Phosguard? Tank inhabitants all showing no signs of stress!!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before I begin this post just know that I have been keeping reefs since 1987 so when I say my parameters are all good they are all good. With the exception of my nitrates and phosphates. Nitrates 25 and phosphates 0.61. I've decided that one way to get them both lower is to dose red sea no pox. Anyone have an experience to share with the use of this. Another question anyone dosing this in addition to either GFO or Phosguard? Tank inhabitants all showing no signs of stress!!
Is that high?

OP
OP
Pardsie

Pardsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I carbon dose and use GFO.
I have some NPS so there is a lot of food.
I had 0.2 P and about 20 on the N until I started carbon dosing
I do both vinegar and vodka
What exactly do you want to know?

The post was regarding the usage of Red Sea no3 po4 - x (no pox). So am i to understand you dose vinegar and vodka to lower and maintain? Your readings were a lot better than mine. Everything in my tank is doing fine however I know those nitrates and phosphates are way too high especially the phosphates.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I Nopox, 5ml per day, through my doser into a 65g, it manages my nitrates at 6ppm and Phosphate at .15.
I don’t use GFO (and you can) just keep a big watch on your nutrient levels and don’t go to low.
Make changes in dosage (if and where required) real slowly say no more than increases of 1ml per week.
It has a lesser effect on phosphates.
Nopox is a “management type” tool and make changes only enough to keep nutrients in line.
Somewhere in the NO3 (2-10ppm) and PO4 (0.03 - 0.15) you will find your tanks happy spot.
Your right, your phosphate is quite high, GFO that down.

CCEA5877-4032-402A-AF70-48B199D08881.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The post was regarding the usage of Red Sea no3 po4 - x (no pox). So am i to understand you dose vinegar and vodka to lower and maintain? Your readings were a lot better than mine. Everything in my tank is doing fine however I know those nitrates and phosphates are way too high especially the phosphates.

Yes I dose both. I think certain bacteria likes one or the other. An ipinion, not based on any scientific data I can recall reading. Im not sure whats carbon source is in the NoPox. I do know whats in the vodka and vinegar. Plus I can get it anytime im out.
While my numbers were not bad, the fact that I am feeding my NPS a very high nutrient diet, 2x a day, was causing the N and P to rise. I didnt want it to get out of hand. I slowly ramped up until I found a balance point. Then increased a bit to lower it . As soon as I liked my numbers, I went back to the balance point. 4ml vodka, 30 ml vinegar 600 gallon system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pardsie

Pardsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting don't believe i've known anyone or ever saw a mainly NPS coral tank. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

OP
OP
Pardsie

Pardsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the size! I hate computers!:confused: Stay safe everyone!

M

member 99594

View Badges
Yup, I Nopox, 5ml per day, through my doser into a 65g, it manages my nitrates at 6ppm and Phosphate at .15.
I don’t use GFO (and you can) just keep a big watch on your nutrient levels and don’t go to low.
Make changes in dosage (if and where required) real slowly say no more than increases of 1ml per week.
It has a lesser effect on phosphates.
Nopox is a “management type” tool and make changes only enough to keep nutrients in line.
Somewhere in the NO3 (2-10ppm) and PO4 (0.03 - 0.15) you will find your tanks happy spot.
Your right, your phosphate is quite high, GFO that down.

CCEA5877-4032-402A-AF70-48B199D08881.jpeg

Hey Uncle :)
Quick question for you. I also have the same issue with po4 and no3. I have about 12 no3 and .17 or .34 po4 (RedSea kit) ... I have some No3-Po4-x here and I was wondering if I could start that at about 3ml per week (I have an 80g system) and get the po4 down or should I use GFO first to get me to about .05-.1 first?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Uncle :)
Quick question for you. I also have the same issue with po4 and no3. I have about 12 no3 and .17 or .34 po4 (RedSea kit) ... I have some No3-Po4-x here and I was wondering if I could start that at about 3ml per week (I have an 80g system) and get the po4 down or should I use GFO first to get me to about .05-.1 first?
Nopox is good for nitrate reduction, but far less so for phosphate and many run GFO alongside it. I personally use rowaphos so I would start using a GFO and try and keep it locked down very low around 0.03ppm

Just remember you may need to change it regularly to start as it becomes spent or it wont work

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st thing i would address is whats causing it to be so high? The solutions that you presented can fix the problem of course, but with out you getting to the root of the problem...not sure how you can fix it in the long term.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your N is 12ppm, that number is fine so Nopox is not required as it’s not very effective in lowering P.
Now, P is different. If your P was in fact .17 I would nothing at all, but if it’s .34 that’s a bit high and using a GFO will lower that. I’m not a fan of ultra low P and have had great success in the .15-.25 range.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back