High PH & Alk, Low Phos & Nitrate

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fluval 13.5 is running consistently at the following numbers now for two weeks. Is this a problem, and do I have an in incoming Dyno issue? I have 3 fish, and a mixed softy/LPS reef set up (no SPS).

no Ammonia/Nitrites (check once per week)
Salinity 1.025-1.026 (refractometer)
PH 8.4 - 8.6 (using Hanna)
Alk 8.5 - 9.0 (using Hanna)
Phosphate - not detectable using API, next purchase is a Hanna ULR
Nitrates zero (using Hanna)
Calcium 410 - 430 (AquaForest)

My observation is I’m consuming ALK about 0.1-0.2 per day. I was dosing Seacheam Reef Fusion to maintain between 9.0-9.5 ALK but stopped when my PH stated testing too high (slow introduction into tank but afraid to do it with starting PH 8.4-8.6).

my only remedy I’ve tried to lower PH is to open the windows during the day for fresh air. This hasn’t had acute effect the last two days, and today will be too hot to do this. I’ve started feeding twice per day now to increase nitrates.

Should I worry about these parameters?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my water from the LFS. They say they are using Instant Ocean. I test each batch prior, and it usually registers 8.2-8.3 PH and around 8 ALK.
How frequently do you perform water changes? On smaller tanks water changes are usually sufficient to maintain alkalinity (etc.) without necessarily needing to dose (unless you tank is wall to wall with corals, that is).

OP
OP
mikemathis555

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How frequently do you perform water changes? On smaller tanks water changes are usually sufficient to maintain alkalinity (etc.) without necessarily needing to dose (unless you tank is wall to wall with corals, that is).

Once per week, usually around 10-20%. The real issue isn’t the ALK (I had chosen to dose to keep around 9 ALK), my biggest concern is I can’t get the PH lower than 8.4ish with a high of 8.6. I’m feeding more to entice a higher nitrate level.

it just seems to me that something is out of balance causing PH to remain high. I test PH at the same time every day as well.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When are you testing your pH during the day? It will fluctuate, so you may want to try testing first thing in the morning, mid afternoon and late evening just to see what kind of variances you might be experiencing (you don’t need to do this all the time, just once to give you a rough idea of what the pH shift is).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API phosphate is useless. Don't bother with it. Phosphates seem to work best between 0.03 and 0.1 ppm, and the api only reads down to 0.25. Get the ulr phosphorus or phosphate from Hanna if you can, or any other phosphate test lol. If your nitrate is always 0, just push the water changes back a bit.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Are you dosing anything other than Reef Fusion.

Reef Fusion will raise pH.

0.1 dKH per day is very little consumption.

MrWanted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Mike

Please recalibrate your ph device. Most common problem is low ph. Maybe your device is out of calibration.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back