high Ph Swing during the day

Iloverocks10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my Ph has begun to rise steadily during the daylight hours in my tank it starts at around 8.4 then climbs to 8.6 and drops down when my lights turn off I have recently changed my lighting setup adding a t5 hybrid fixture to my Leds. my only filtration is a filter sock and miracle mud refugium with a kessil h160 that i run at 40% power 24/7 i have tried turning off the fuge light during the hours of the ph rising and it doesnt seem to affect it at all.
ALK 9.8-10
CAL 400-420
MAG 1100-1150
Nitrate and phosphate are nearly undetectable i dont even get a reading on my hannah checker half the time

Is this something i need to be worried about or should i just let it be

ead5931410a187b893a2f551c8afc54c.png

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine with a Co2 media on skimmer

Attachments

• 3EF3C39F-D78A-4E0E-9772-FB9249604456.png
    3EF3C39F-D78A-4E0E-9772-FB9249604456.png
    265.3 KB · Views: 33

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my swings are similar (but 7.9 - 8.2)... i would be worried if the swings go too low or too high (but i would also ensure your probe is calibrated - not because of the swing, but the actual measurement value). I think it is daylight that affects it the most. I run an ATS at night and that doesnt seem to do much to change the swing.

OP
OP
Iloverocks10

Iloverocks10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my swings are similar (but 7.9 - 8.2)... i would be worried if the swings go too low or too high (but i would also ensure your probe is calibrated - not because of the swing, but the actual measurement value). I think it is daylight that affects it the most. I run an ATS at night and that doesnt seem to do much to change the swing.
Probe was calibrated 2 days ago should have mentioned that

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probe was calibrated 2 days ago should have mentioned that
maybe run co2 scrubber only at night.. that could even out the swing.. (not yours though because your pH is already a bit high during the day... i think a co2 scrubber would only raise it more)

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH swing is caused by changes in CO2 levels in your tank. During the day, photosynthesis consumes CO2 resulting in an increase in pH while the pH will drop at night as the algae in your corals and/or refugium produce CO2 by normal respiration (CO2 reacts with water to produce carbonic acid, H2CO3). The pH swings indicate your new T5s are increasing photosynthesis, which is a proxy for good coral growth!

itsken37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH swing is caused by changes in CO2 levels in your tank. During the day, photosynthesis consumes CO2 resulting in an increase in pH while the pH will drop at night as the algae in your corals and/or refugium produce CO2 by normal respiration (CO2 reacts with water to produce carbonic acid, H2CO3). The pH swings indicate your new T5s are increasing photosynthesis, which is a proxy for good coral growth!
now that i think about it that makes so much sense. thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Iloverocks10

Iloverocks10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info i knew that was going on i was just more so wondering if 8.6 was to high i also prob need to increase my nutrient levels to match with the elevated ph and alk

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally feel that 8.6 is to high. I have mine running between 8.14 and 8.4 and that, I fell is the top as ocean water PH is 8.3 on avg. I can't answer on how to lower it as I have been trying to raise it and never looked at how to lower it Maybe @Jay Hemdal can answer that problem.

Screenshot (36).png

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sometimes certain algaes are more easily cured with a complete tear down than trying to fight it. There are some unbeatable strains.
Agree with above. pH increase during the day is a good thing. You can control how much and how little it increases by how much light you give the system. Ideally, the photosynthesis is happening in the corals and not a unwanted algea.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Iloverocks10

Iloverocks10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To minimize the pH swings you could dose CO2 to the tank using a CO2 cylinder and regulator with a solenoid controlled by your Apex. This is common in planted freshwater aquariums.
If i have to ill go that route i sold my 2 c02 setups recently didnt think id run into this problem

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally feel that 8.6 is to high. I have mine running between 8.14 and 8.4 and that, I fell is the top as ocean water PH is 8.3 on avg. I can't answer on how to lower it as I have been trying to raise it and never looked at how to lower it Maybe @Jay Hemdal can answer that problem.

Screenshot (36).png
8.6 is a very high pH, I wonder though, that there is a testing issue? Buffering in marine aquariums should keep that high of a level from showing up. Certainly, as others have said, the pH swing is a result of CO2 uptake and production between day and night, but this wide of a swing is unexpected.

Jay

OP
OP
Iloverocks10

Iloverocks10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.6 is a very high pH, I wonder though, that there is a testing issue? Buffering in marine aquariums should keep that high of a level from showing up. Certainly, as others have said, the pH swing is a result of CO2 uptake and production between day and night, but this wide of a swing is unexpected.

Jay
I will bring my hannah ph tester from work home and test it vs my apex both have been calibrated recently and ill report back (Hannah Probe comes back the same around 8.5-8.6)

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would be very curious how people have figured out how to keep the pH more constant..

Complete aeration will flatline the pH.

The larger the swing, the less complete is the aeration must be (ignoring time of day effects impacting the CO2 in the air, such as when there's a big party going on, etc.).

Higher alk also reduces the pH swing.

IMO, the swing is not generally the issue, but rather the extremes of the swing.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The larger the swing, the less complete is the aeration must be (ignoring time of day effects impacting the CO2 in the air, such as when there's a big party going on, etc.).

IMO, the swing is not generally the issue, but rather the extremes of the swing.
i am still baffled by my tank.. I have a 250g with a 40g sump under it.. my protein skimmer is in that sump.. it has a co2 scrubber attached and the airline is pumped in from outside. Additionally, i have another 60g sump outside attached through piping (so no co2 issue there).. plus all of my topoff water and new SW is made outside and piped in.. yet.. i have issues keeping my ph above 8 (7.9 - 8.1) swings...

OP
OP
Iloverocks10

Iloverocks10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would you say a swing up to 8.6 is of huge concern

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 102 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back