High ph.

Red Sea 425 XL Mixed_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a reef factory ph monitor to maintain a stable ph as I thought it could be on a lower end.

I’ve kalibrate it twice and I am getting a ph of 8,8. It’s summer and main door to garden is wide open en tank is blushed in fresh air. I run kh at 10. I can’t see anything going bad in my tank. All look happy I keep a mixed reef with many sps.

I wonder could it be that high because of all the fresh air and my high KH? And how bad is 8,8 to me it seems a lot. Thanks in advance for the help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH 8.8 is almost certainly not accurate.

What did you calibrate it with? DId it read the calibration fluids correctly after calibration?

Simple aeration will bring pH 8.8 way down.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH 8.8 is almost certainly not accurate.

What did you calibrate it with? DId it read the calibration fluids correctly after calibration?

Simple aeration will bring pH 8.8 way down.
I bought the device new today. I calibrated it with the ph4 and ph7 probes that came with the device. I’ve done it twice before putting it in the tank. . And just now I took it out and calibrated it again a few times after each other to be surten it’s at 4 and 7.

Calcium is 440
Magnesium 1440
Po4 0,8
Nitrate 10
KH 10

From what points it becomes a problem? As to high.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the device new today. I calibrated it with the ph4 and ph7 probes that came with the device. I’ve done it twice before putting it in the tank. . And just now I took it out and calibrated it again a few times after each other to be surten it’s at 4 and 7.

Calcium is 440
Magnesium 1440
Po4 0,8
Nitrate 10
KH 10

From what points it becomes a problem? As to high.

pH in a reef tank is never too high unless you are dosing very high pH additives. As pH rises above 8.4, the problem is increasing abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate on pumps heaters, sand (especially new sand), etc. I generally consider up to pH 8.55 fine, and above that point is a trade off of benefit vs detriments.

I'd recommend calibrating at pH 7 and 10, if you can. It's always best to have the measuring point in between the calibration points.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH in a reef tank is never too high unless you are dosing very high pH additives. As pH rises above 8.4, the problem is increasing abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate on pumps heaters, sand (especially new sand), etc. I generally consider up to pH 8.55 fine, and above that point is a trade off of benefit vs detriments.

I'd recommend calibrating at pH 7 and 10, if you can. It's always best to have the measuring point in between the calibration points.
Thank you for feedback Randy, I appreciate. I am going to get a nother device to check and be surten. I bought this thing to get some surtenty and it got me even more confused lol.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Handheld pH pen is decent for spot check. They are usually less than $20 and fairly accurate. It looks like Amazon in Netherlands has some for about the same price. Just rinse the probes off with freshwater before you store it and they have lasted a long time for me.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Handheld pH pen is decent for spot check. They are usually less than $20 and fairly accurate. It looks like Amazon in Netherlands has some for about the same price. Just rinse the probes off with freshwater before you store it and they have lasted a long time for me.
Thanks I wil check into it.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrated it again and the ph been stable between 8.10 ph and 8.40. The measurement seems solide and it’s very stable and in the range I hoped for. I had to do it multiple times for the machine to work.. perhaps it needed some time to settle in. But thanks all for reply’s

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back