High phosphate issue, RODI testing at .04ppm

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m having a high phosphate issue. As high as .9ppm according to my Hanna checker Hi774 phosphate ULR after multiple tests.

I did water change after water change in my tank and was able to bring it down to .52 after a water change marathon but the following day (today) it’s up to .54ppm.

on my build thread it was suggested to check my RODI water and that tested at .04ppm! That can’t be normal can it? Isn’t the target for phosphates <.03ppm?

I’m using an Aquaticlife RODI Buddie 50gpd.
Tank inhabitants seem to be doing fine. Corals look okay, colors could be better but other than that, my tank seems okay.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a similar RoDi and switched to the BRS 5 stage. Comes with a built in TDS meter. Might be best for you to make the switch also.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The buddy is a very basic unit.
Like others suggested - consider a 4-5 stage unit which also delivers water faster

Martine depot Kleenwater economy
BRS Unit
spectraPure
Air water and ice

For now, you can add a pouch of chemipure elite which will help keep Phos and Nitrates in check

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming your running with out di ?

OP
OP
phenom3030

phenom3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming your running with out di ?
I’m running with DI, using the RODI Buddie.
What are you feeding?
For the fish, I’m feeding the Marine Cuisine frozen fish food. I cut a little off a block to feed. I’ve reduced feedings to a couple times a week.
I also use Seachem Reef Zooplankton twice a week for the corals.

I forgot to add, part of the effort in battling the phosphates I added a bag of Seachem Phosguard a few days ago and added some little Aqueon phosphate filter inserts meant for HOB filters to my inTank media baskets.

For filtering I have two baskets. From top to bottom in one I have filter floss, Phosguard and carbon bag, biomedia rings. In the other I have a refugium setup. Filter floss, red ogo, Marinepure blocks. I feed phytoplankton to this side nightly.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 121 58.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.5%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.6%
Back