High phosphates but low nitrates, si it possibile?

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, in my tank I’m dealing with PO4 at 0.11 ppm and NO3 at 1.2 ppm. It seems phosphates are high and nitrates are low. Is this possible? I always thought that the two variables are correlated (ie increasing together). Can you please help me to understand? Thanks

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine runs high phosphate and low nitrate. I'm not exactly sure why but it's a pita. At one point I was at at least .5 if not higher phosphate and 0 nitrate. After months of weekly water changes, upgrades and increase to the lighting over my cheato, and most recently caving and adding GFO I got phos to slightly over .1. Regarding nitrate I've had to start dosing it. Currently at about 2ppm and still dialing in the dosage of it.

SO yeah, my imbalance is so strong that I have to very actively chase phosphate down and chase nitrate up :face-with-spiral-eyes:

OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine runs high phosphate and low nitrate. I'm not exactly sure why but it's a pita. At one point I was at at least .5 if not higher phosphate and 0 nitrate. After months of weekly water changes, upgrades and increase to the lighting over my cheato, and most recently caving and adding GFO I got phos to slightly over .1. Regarding nitrate I've had to start dosing it. Currently at about 2ppm and still dialing in the dosage of it.

SO yeah, my imbalance is so strong that I have to very actively chase phosphate down and chase nitrate up :face-with-spiral-eyes:
Thanks Brian, has someone experienced a reduction of phosphate by dosing nitrates thanks to a rebalancing of the redfield ratio? They say this could also be a solution, but before trying I’d like to check other reefers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, in my tank I’m dealing with PO4 at 0.11 ppm and NO3 at 1.2 ppm. It seems phosphates are high and nitrates are low. Is this possible? I always thought that the two variables are correlated (ie increasing together). Can you please help me to understand? Thanks

No, N and P are not tied together since there are many processes that consume them independently.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brian, has someone experienced a reduction of phosphate by dosing nitrates thanks to a rebalancing of the redfield ratio? They say this could also be a solution, but before trying I’d like to check other reefers
I thought this might be the case and attempted it for two months. It did not work.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 at 0.11 ppm and NO3 at 1.2
Those values look good and I would not be using anything to adjust or change them.
Instead get some corals or fish and enjoy your reef tank.
If PO4 is above 0.04 and below 0.25 I would just monitor. If below 0.04 feed the fish more if above 0.25 maybe get some corals, carbon dose and as a last resort consider GFO.

Good luck

OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those values look good and I would not be using anything to adjust or change them.
Instead get some corals or fish and enjoy your reef tank.
If PO4 is above 0.04 and below 0.25 I would just monitor. If below 0.04 feed the fish more if above 0.25 maybe get some corals, carbon dose and as a last resort consider GFO.

Good luck
Thanks, I’ll monitor the tank. For now I’ve noticed just a beginning of algae starting, that’s why I wanted to intervene quickly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’ll monitor the tank. For now I’ve noticed just a beginning of algae starting, that’s why I wanted to intervene quickly

Contrary to popular belief, it’s hard to control algae by limiting nutrients without stressing organisms we want to keep.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, generally algae and coral require similar things to live and in general you will starve and kill your corals long before you eradicate algae.

Best way to manage algae is to increase coral mass so corals outcompete algae. Same as farmer he needs to put crop on his field or weeds will take over.

On new tank get some fast growing corals and replace them later on. Or find someone who is tearing down their reef and get some corals (not frags) that you can replace later.

The way I see it, you either grow corals or algae and you need to pick one.

Good luck,

OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never considered this but it is for sure a strong argument. I’m gonna try. What do you suggest as fast growing. Attached my tank, some sps, lps, and zoa and a soft coral. Not much space, On the left some macro algae to control nutrients and to be eaten by tangs

Attachments

• IMG_3996.jpeg
    IMG_3996.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never considered this but it is for sure a strong argument. I’m gonna try. What do you suggest as fast growing. Attached my tank, some sps, lps, and zoa and a soft coral. Not much space, On the left some macro algae to control nutrients and to be eaten by tangs
Forgot to say I’m trying to keep it as natural as possible, I use no skimmer and media reactors

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the tank looks good, I would not be using GFO. You can try skimmer before other types of reactor.

I think you got most of the fast growers. I like to use Zoas but they can melt as fast. Long term I had more luck with Paly:
1708204636456.jpeg

GSP is good for back wall or stand alone rocks:
1708204230820.jpeg

Keep it away from main structure.

Chalice corals are good as well:
1708204337214.jpeg

1708204362627.jpeg

Some Favia, they do tolerate sand:
1708204508499.jpeg

Montipora Setosa as well:
1708204582420.jpeg

Again they can be temperamental, one day growing next they are dead.

I only use skimmer and GAC in a bag (50 ml per 50gal of water and change it once a month).

Your tank looks nice, you are on the right path.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to say I’m trying to keep it as natural as possible, I use no skimmer and media reactors

I understand the sentiment, but as a general rule, there is almost no process that reefers use that is unnatural. One clear exception is certain organic pesticides as in AlgaeFix or Vibrant. We just scale up natural processes to be more impactful in our aquaria.

OP
OP
Billyreef-ita

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I get it , there was no intended bad judgement in my statement , in the end we are just talking about different processes for reefing, no more than that.

I only start from this assumption: if I have to dose elements in my tank and then I eliminate them soon after with the skimmer isn’t it a paradox? Why don’t break this circle avoiding the skimmer? This is my only consideration

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that my refugium full of chaeto was the culprit in keeping my nitrates at 0. I started dosing but quickly realized that this is just feeding the chaeto and pretty wasteful. My solution was to take out 75% of the chaeto and turn the light cycle down. This helped bump nitrates up to healthy levels without the pita and cost of dosing nitrates. Of course, feeding more also helps but it's a balancing act to keep Phos at acceptable levels (.11 is fine btw).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I get it , there was no intended bad judgement in my statement , in the end we are just talking about different processes for reefing, no more than that.

I only start from this assumption: if I have to dose elements in my tank and then I eliminate them soon after with the skimmer isn’t it a paradox? Why don’t break this circle avoiding the skimmer? This is my only consideration

I’m not sure there is all that much trace element removal by skimming.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that my refugium full of chaeto was the culprit in keeping my nitrates at 0. I started dosing but quickly realized that this is just feeding the chaeto and pretty wasteful. My solution was to take out 75% of the chaeto and turn the light cycle down. This helped bump nitrates up to healthy levels without the pita and cost of dosing nitrates. Of course, feeding more also helps but it's a balancing act to keep Phos at acceptable levels (.11 is fine btw).

That certainly makes sense.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back