High Phosphates

Ivan Serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 150 gallon tank and I’ve been dealing with some high phosphate issues and I just can’t seem to bring them down. I had large water changes fro two weeks and was able to get phosphates down to 0.2 after a week they went back up to 0.4 so I added a reactor with rowaphos and after a week it stayed the same. So now I’ve replaced the rowaphos with newer and did another water change cleaned out the sand bed and my phosphates jumped up to 0.91 by the next day. Any ideas what I can do to lower them.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? Have you cross-checked the results against another testing kit/method?

You can use lanthanum chloride to get the phosphates under control until you identify the source of the elevated phosphate levels.

Also, have you checked the water you're using to perform water changes for elevated phosphate levels?

OP
OP
Ivan Serrano

Ivan Serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Hanna phosphate checker, I’m going to have my buddy at the shop that I work at check it for me to see if there’s a difference. And I’m using the water we make at our shop so I know that water is good.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Hanna phosphate checker, I’m going to have my buddy at the shop that I work at check it for me to see if there’s a difference. And I’m using the water we make at our shop so I know that water is good.
Well, unless you've tested the water at the shop, you don't really know that it's good ;) It's pretty easy to rule that out as a potential source, but most people never think to check the water supply.

I think the cross-check will ensure it's not a testing error. Keep me posted on what you find out!

OP
OP
Ivan Serrano

Ivan Serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We test the water every and so far it’s still good, but it is a possibility. I know right now we’re switching from using Fritz salt to RedSea salt

OP
OP
Ivan Serrano

Ivan Serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really I just have to clean the glass every few days and the sand bed gets a little bit but the rocks are clean as could be.

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That puzzles me and makes me suspect a testing issue. Usually, that amount of phosphate should cause a lot of nuisance algae.

What are the nitrate levels, if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
Ivan Serrano

Ivan Serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that my issue lol, I just checked nitrates like an hour ago and there at 2ppm and I used the Salifert tester

OP
OP
Ivan Serrano

Ivan Serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I’m going to use another Hanna checker today and maybe another tester if we have one laying around and see if maybe that’s the issue

OP
OP
Ivan Serrano

Ivan Serrano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Hanna checker is faulty, I tested my water at my shop with the other one and it was 0.18; still high but not as bad.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back