High phosphates

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I have a 25g water box peninsula and over the past few days started seeing a rise in my phosphates. Monday, they went to 0.09, so I completed a water change and got them down to 0.05. I tested each day after with a stable number, but I have now shot up to 0.08. My LFS said to rinse my frozen Mysis, but that’s a pain. I’m wondering if I can cut my feeding in half to lower my phosphates.

I was dosing until two weeks ago as my tank is only 5 months old, and I couldn't keep readable phosphatase but stopped thinking it was stable, but now my numbers are rising.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing your frozen cubes is ok but your phosphates are fine . I keep mine between 0.05 and 0.10 which is within good parameters .

OP
OP
J

jdcooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thank you. I increased my feeding about a month ago to deal with no nitrates, so maybe ill dial it back and watch how both parameters react.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates need to be somewhat in balance with nitrates... You said you were trying to raise both, so what is your recent nitrate level?

I agree that if things look happy, don't be too concerned with having a particular number, but do keep an eye on any trends.
Your tank is still new and will probably take a while longer to really stabilize.

Good luck :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back