High Powered Small Fish safe pw?

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving one of the 125s to a small fish reef and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Right now the two powerheads are 5240 gph set up to alternate to keep the rock wall debris free and create a tide effect. For the big guys in the tank its never been an issue but after watching a porc get stuck to it earlier and quickly free itself I was thinking it would probably be much different for a blenny. The larger fish are moving to a big display tank and with the coral well established I would like to avoid messing with the flow rates too much. So that all said anyone know of something in that power range that either is small fish safe, or comes with an optional screen like the Koralia do? Preferably not breaking the bank would be nice as well.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce Voyagers are pretty sealed and make an extreme version if you need super high flow. You could always have a wavemaker on a controller so it shuts off so that the fish can swim away. That would probably be what I would do.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have a small neon goby that only swims in my power head when I turn it off during water charges I suppose it may be looking for food

OP
OP
Salt Addiction

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce Voyagers are pretty sealed and make an extreme version if you need super high flow. You could always have a wavemaker on a controller so it shuts off so that the fish can swim away. That would probably be what I would do.
Do they make one that's 5200+? Highest I can find is 2100 roughly off Marine Depot. My current setting is one in each corner behind the rock work, 3 hours on each alternating which one is on so every 3 hours the current reverses direction in the front of the display. They also double in keeping the hard to reach areas behind my rock work clear of debris and detritus.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they make one that's 5200+? Highest I can find is 2100 roughly off Marine Depot. My current setting is one in each corner behind the rock work, 3 hours on each alternating which one is on so every 3 hours the current reverses direction in the front of the display. They also double in keeping the hard to reach areas behind my rock work clear of debris and detritus.

I don't think they do but you might want to check out the hydro wave controller. This could help with your current ones and would seemingly fix your issue.

OP
OP
Salt Addiction

Salt Addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hydro wave controller
Looking at it I am not sure how it would help? The current is fine, the problem is the spacing on the powerhead guards and the amount of suction they pull in around them. Not sure how plugging them into another device would do anything to keep a fish from getting into one as they would still be running like they are now.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back