Higher ph and alk consumption

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I’ve fixed a number of things in my tank. Growth is accelerating with acros and lps. Had an issue with bad calibration with my salinity and so much improved when I fixed it. That combined with my windows bejng open a lot more now that it’s winter so my ph is higher as well. It ranges from 8.0/8.1 to 8.5/8.6 every day. Used to be 7.8/7.9 to 8.3. Both of those seem to be factors.

my question is about precipitate and my alk consumption. I know the high ph i have can cause precipitate. I can’t see any obviously but maybe it’s there. My alk consumption has gone from 0.6/0.7 per day to about 1.0 consistently. I’d expect it because of growth that I see so how can I tell if some is due to precipitate if I can’t find any? My calcium consumption is also higher as well.
Tank is 11 months old. 32 gallons.
temp 78.8
Alk 7.6
Cal 375
Mag 1375
Phos 0.06
Nitrate 10-15

my alk consumption is still constant every day so I don’t think I have anything to worry about. Just want to know more about what I might be dealing with.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't see an issue except the corals using more alk for growth which is good. Familiarize yourself with Kalkwasser. A little drip will keep your alk where it needs to be.

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve been using the redsea alk and calcium additives for now. Been thinking about trying that but since this seems to work for me I kinda think if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I think it’s just higher consumption too. I almost just don’t believe it. I also just started with a doser finally a week few weeks ago. My tank was going up and down .6 alk every day. I think some of the extra consumption might be due to better stability. It’s just a big jump. I should just be happy. I just got worried it’s just all precipitating out. But I don’t think it is.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If coral growth is accelerating then that’s probably where most of your calcium and alkalinity consumption is going. Inverts and coraline algae will also consume them. Your magnesium level is high enough to prevent the level of calcium you have from precipitating. I usually try to keep magnesium around 1400 and calcium around 420 in my tank

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not at that level, I wouldn't worry about it. The reason I told you Kalkwasser is that it provides your alk and calcium, but another benefit is that it consumes a bit of co2 as well when your windows are closed.

You really can get away with Kalkwasser for a long time until the demand is too great and then you dose like you're doing. You can also do it the way you are, but without a dosing pump it's a bit tiresome.

Congratulations on your success. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody. I’ll worry a little less and celebrate some success. This darn hobby. When things go well all I can think is everything is about to crash any minute and it can’t be real.
To give some background on how bad my salinity was. I used a calibration solution from Amazon with a refractometer. Eventually bought a hydrometer and tested both on new mixed water. Hydrometer was at 1.022 when refractometer was 1.025. The solution was wrong. I used Randy’s formula to make my own solution. I’ve got a scale to make it accurately. The hydrometer was right. All measurements taken at the same temp. I spent a month slowly raising salinity to 35ppm. It’s like a new tank. I’m amazed anything was growing before.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks everybody. I’ll worry a little less and celebrate some success. This darn hobby. When things go well all I can think is everything is about to crash any minute and it can’t be real.
To give some background on how bad my salinity was. I used a calibration solution from Amazon with a refractometer. Eventually bought a hydrometer and tested both on new mixed water. Hydrometer was at 1.022 when refractometer was 1.025. The solution was wrong. I used Randy’s formula to make my own solution. I’ve got a scale to make it accurately. The hydrometer was right. All measurements taken at the same temp. I spent a month slowly raising salinity to 35ppm. It’s like a new tank. I’m amazed anything was growing before.
Don't sweat the little swings too much. You'll hear a lot of panicked reefers when salinity changes like yours. The truth is, 99% of the time nothing will be harmed and you can raise it back up. Alk swings, etc just don't panic and try to make changes too fast. You'll be just fine.

Also, another thing, the hydrometer you get from Instant Ocean, those are very accurate as well. I use a Tropic Marin glass hydrometer and they are 100% accurate. Sounds like you're doing well.

Back