Higher Phosphates, Low Nitrates?

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’m currently running an IM 25 Lagoon as a frag grow out tank. It’s just about six months-ish old and generally has been doing fairly well.

My issue, if it is one, is that I seem to have trouble keeping a decent level of nitrates in the aquarium but I frequently see spikes of phosphates.

I’m running the Intank Fuge with Chaeto and the IM DC Skimmer.

Yesterday when I tested my PO4 it was around .21, on Monday it was .12

Wednesday I feed my corals a mix of RedSea AB+, Oyster Feast, and Reef Chili. It’s a pretty small amount split between my two tanks, twice a week. (Can get into exact amounts if needed).

Additionally I broadcast AB+ daily (3ml in this tank).

I feed my fish Hatcheries Diet pellets in the AM and LRS Nano Reef Frenzy in the PM.

What I have been doing to control Phosphates is testing twice a week or so and using PhosphatesRX (lanthanum) to knock it back.

I would prefer to get to a point of balance here, so my question is... Does anyone have any suggestions?

I thought I might drop back to coral feeding once a week? Or not at all?

I thought maybe about skipping the oysterfeast and Reef chili and just use the AB+ broadcast and get some Fauna Marin LPS Pellets to prevent waste?

Or maybe skip supplemental coral feeding entirely?

I suppose I could try and incorporate some sorta GFO or something, but I’m curious to hear some thoughts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey randy!

I used a Hanna low range checker.
Nitrate is roughly 4ppm per my Red Sea nitrate pro kit.

I wouldn't worry excessively over either number. I'd monitor longer before doing anything.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back