Hippo suddenly looking extremely stressed

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this fish for over a year now.

It still has appetite, as I fed pellets and it changed its color back to normal and chowed down. But went right back to acting weird.

He's breathing EXTREMELY fast and pacing back and forth. All the stress is causing his black marks to turn white.

This all happened suddenly. No new additions

What can be happening? All other fish are acting okay.

My powder blue is kinda jumpy now that the blue hippo is acting like this, every time the blue hippo races by the PBT he shows some aggression. As if he things he's being challenged by dori which is just stressing TF out.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
video incoming shortly...

Attachments

• PXL_20230612_002905820.TS~2.jpg
    PXL_20230612_002905820.TS~2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 24

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

It still has appetite, as I fed pellets and it changed its color back to normal and chowed down. But went right back to acting weird.

He's breathing EXTREMELY fast and pacing back and forth. All the stress is causing his black marks to turn white.

My powder blue is kinda jumpy now that the blue hippo is acting like this, every time the blue hippo races by the PBT he shows some aggression. As if he things he's being challenged by dori which is just stressing TF out.
Please post a video under white lighting of at least 30 as symptoms may be associated with flukes . If flukes, some behaviors are gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
going to need more info ,short video of breathing

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a video under white lighting of at least 30 as symptoms may be associated with flukes . If flukes, some behaviors are gills will be red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No loss of appetite, no swimming towards the top. more like the bottom corner and in the open.

I did notice some shaking, but nothing crazy. I have yet to see him/her scratch either.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The hepatus just looks really stressed and jumpy. How long has this been going on?

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dont like breathing rate as he is bothered by something. I see jay is on this also and leave this with him and yourself for resolvment

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hepatus just looks really stressed and jumpy. How long has this been going on?

Jay

Not sure exactly, definitely wasnt happening this afternoon before we left to go run some errands.

My wife was actually the one who noticed. She told the fish was looking really weird.

When I walked over, I guess the color had turned back to normal. But as I sat there I noticed the obvious stress, and the paleness kicking in.

Oddly enough, I think I noticed the issue. My lights are supposed to cut off at 8:00 PM. It was around 30 mins past that and they were still on. (light timer issue)

As soon as I reset the light, everyone went into hiding.. So I am hoping our little Dori just wanted to go to bed...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure exactly, definitely wasnt happening this afternoon before we left to go run some errands.

My wife was actually the one who noticed. She told the fish was looking really weird.

When I walked over, I guess the color had turned back to normal. But as I sat there I noticed the obvious stress, and the paleness kicking in.

Oddly enough, I think I noticed the issue. My lights are supposed to cut off at 8:00 PM. It was around 30 mins past that and they were still on. (light timer issue)

As soon as I reset the light, everyone went into hiding.. So I am hoping our little Dori just wanted to go to bed...

Please update us today, hopefully this was just a transient stress event of some sort.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back