Hippo tang = ich

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a video of the tang if it helps the smarter folk figure out what it is

In this video, I can see three larger, diffuse white areas. They are not ich, nor are they typical mucus plugs. Could be rub marks or a minor bacterial issue.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also smaller white dots. Do you think there is a role for a freshwater dip or would that be too stressful?

FW dips are really just a quick fix, they do not fully cure fish of protozoan or fluke infections. If there is a true ich infection, the best remedy is either copper or hyposalinity in a treatment tank.

Jay

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dips are really just a quick fix, they do not fully cure fish of protozoan or fluke infections. If there is a true ich infection, the best remedy is either copper or hyposalinity in a treatment tank.

Jay

Well, I put her (her name is Selena Tang) in the QT tank after a 4 minute FW bath (I only read your note about Fresh water baths after I did the dang thing. I had spent the time it set up a QT tank for this very purpose so why not use it?

If it turns out to be not ich, then great I can move her back. to think about why she has been bad an stressing both of us out.

anyway? I can get better pictures of Selena under the QT lights and it does appear to be several large spots. I though I had seen smaller dots on her when she was in the display so either I imagined them or they fell off in the FW bath.

I’ve attached another video of her in her QT.
In any case, it’s been a good learning experience for me and I appreciate your help and input. If it turns out NOT to be ich, then maybe I’ll try to do a video to differentiate the two because it potentially makes a huge difference in treatment. I don’t want other people to QT their fish for 2 months to treat something that doesn’t need to be treated!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can see some smaller spots in this video and she is breathing a bit fast. I would just run a 30 day copper treatment, just to be safe. Be sure to manage the ammonia in the treatment tank! You also need to monitor any fish she was in with....

Jay

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can see some smaller spots in this video and she is breathing a bit fast. I would just run a 30 day copper treatment, just to be safe. Be sure to manage the ammonia in the treatment tank! You also need to monitor any fish she was in with....

Jay
Yup.
I guess I have to pull the clowns too. That will be fun chasing them around the tank. Hopefully they don’t die from the stress!

I think this speaks to the need for an at home test kit for the marine diseases. Can you pull strings and get folks in industry to make an at home antigen test for aquarium diseases? Knowing what you are dealing with is everything.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup.
I guess I have to pull the clowns too. That will be fun chasing them around the tank. Hopefully they don’t die from the stress!

I think this speaks to the need for an at home test kit for the marine diseases. Can you pull strings and get folks in industry to make an at home antigen test for aquarium diseases? Knowing what you are dealing with is everything.

I wish! The company Aquabiomics can run an analysis of your tank for its microbiome, but I've not used their services myself, so can't vouch for their effectiveness.

Jay

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish! The company Aquabiomics can run an analysis of your tank for its microbiome, but I've not used their services myself, so can't vouch for their effectiveness.

Jay

yeah! Interesting. Expensive but I think it would be worthwhile. I would pay $50 to know if I didn’t have to/did have to QT my fish for 8 weeks. Thanks for the idea.

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update for those interested:

Selena tang has been hanging in QT with some copper. Her white spots actually look much better. The large white ones are gone. Maybe some small ones on her forehead. She continues to breathe a little fast but is eating well
Ammonia in the tank is 0 but nitrates are sky high so trying to address this with 10 gallon water changes. No sign of problems with the clown fish in the display tank… so. It sure if I should pull them into the QT as well.
Thanks for the help. Looks like progress… maybe?
still wish there was a cheap rapid test for aquariums diagnosis. Would be super helpful!

OP
OP
B

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m closing in on a month of QT of copper for Selena tang. are There any opinions whether on whether I should follow with two doses of Prazi? i have no suspicion for anything bad, and I am anxious to get her back home, but I also not into doing this again especially as I have more fish in the DT now

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m closing in on a month of QT of copper for Selena tang. are There any opinions whether on whether I should follow with two doses of Prazi? i have no suspicion for anything bad, and I am anxious to get her back home, but I also not into doing this again especially as I have more fish in the DT now

I always wait two weeks after the last prazi treatment (if the QT is stable and running well). You say you have "more fish in the DT now" - were all of these quarantined? If not, that will be the weakest link in terms of a disease process starting up on you again.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back