Hippo Tang Ick

ReefingWithTheSavannahs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

We bought this Hippo Tang from a LFS who does a full quarantine. I’m noticing bumps on the hippo tang that I’m concerned might be ick. Does anyone have suggestions on what this may be and treatment if it is an issue?

9B380BBA-A35F-477D-B48A-A57C20885D9B.jpeg ABC088DF-3205-4EEB-B32E-ACD52983DAE0.jpeg

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the pictures, I would go with ich. Hard to tell in blue light, but it's most likely ich. As for treatment, you have to take him out, put him in a QT tank, and treat him with copper. Assume that ich is laying eggs at this point, and go with 76-day fallow period in your DT tank. Copper Power seems to be the most popular medication for ich on this forum.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

We bought this Hippo Tang from a LFS who does a full quarantine. I’m noticing bumps on the hippo tang that I’m concerned might be ick. Does anyone have suggestions on what this may be and treatment if it is an issue?

9B380BBA-A35F-477D-B48A-A57C20885D9B.jpeg ABC088DF-3205-4EEB-B32E-ACD52983DAE0.jpeg
THIS IS MUCUS CONES AND NOT ICH ALTHOUGH MUCUS CONES OFTEN ARE TRIGGERED WITH SKIN IRRITATIONS OR MIXED IN WITH ICH. THESE FISH AS WELL AS POWDER BLUES OFTEN (OOPs= sorry for caps, just realized)
As well as powder blues often contract this.
Do any of the other fish show these spots?
Fish sometimes develop excess mucus that excretes from the producing skin cells which rises up as a cone or a plug. These often derive from skin irritation.
Assure good water quality and for cure often good water quality will diminish it but treating with coppersafe and copper power may help at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Fallow often not necessary with this condition but if you do, period is 45-60 days, , , , No longer 76 which is optional if you choose

OP
OP
ReefingWithTheSavannahs

ReefingWithTheSavannahs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS IS MUCUS CONES AND NOT ICH ALTHOUGH MUCUS CONES OFTEN ARE TRIGGERED WITH SKIN IRRITATIONS OR MIXED IN WITH ICH. THESE FISH AS WELL AS POWDER BLUES OFTEN (OOPs= sorry for caps, just realized)
As well as powder blues often contract this.
Do any of the other fish show these spots?
Fish sometimes develop excess mucus that excretes from the producing skin cells which rises up as a cone or a plug. These often derive from skin irritation.
Assure good water quality and for cure often good water quality will diminish it but treating with coppersafe and copper power may help at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Fallow often not necessary with this condition but if you do, period is 45-60 days, , , , No longer 76 which is optional if you choose
We just put the hippo in yesterday. No other fish look to have issues. I’ve moved the hippo to quarantine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be mucus plugs, or it could be ich, or it could be both at the same time (the stress from ich can cause mucus plugs). In this case, I see some spots on the fins, where mucus plugs are not as commonly seen, so I think you need to treat for ich.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back