Hissing from COR-20 Controller Box

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of today I have my brand new Neptune COR-20 pump un and running on my RedSea 350. This is my first time running it and I've noticed a pretty audible "hiss" sound coming from the control box. For reference, it sounds like air is leaking from a tire.

I'm assuming this is coming from a tiny fan or something inside the control box, cooling the electronics. However, I can hear it from across the room, which I find fairly ridiculous. Is this a normal thing for those of you running COR pumps?

I haven't cracked open the box yet to make sure there's some kind of fan in there. The only other thing I think could be making the noise would be a bad capacitor on the board somewhere that's about to fail/is failing.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Cor-20s, and no hissing noise from the control box.

As you turn up or down the speed of the motor, does the noise get louder or quieter or is it constant?

OP
OP
S

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty constant. I'm now guessing I have a bad capacitor. I had mostly assumed that at this point because I couldn't imagine why they'd need a fan...

I guess I'll reach out to Neptune.

OP
OP
S

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update in case anyone else has this happen, they're replacing the driver. The only annoying part about this transaction is the deposit for the cross shipping (I pay a deposit, they ship the part, I ship my bad part back to them, I get the deposit back when they get the bad part.)

I know that's sometimes a normal procedure when dealing with very expensive/hard-to-get items like graphics cards and or in the case of international shipping, etc... but for this, I think it's a bit silly.

Otherwise, the interaction has gone smoothly and Neptune has been very responsive.

OP
OP
S

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last update… new controller came in two days ago. Swapped it out and it’s dead silent so there was just an issue with the box that came with my pump.

All good now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back