Hit and miss with clams

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 4 clams a few weeks ago and things aren't going well. I lost the blue squamosa about a week ago. It looked good Thursday was closed up Friday and totally dead by Saturday. My larger maxima seems ok. I have one smaller maxima that looks open and happy and one that has been closed the last 2 days but is definitely still alive.
Here are some pictures:

P6100014.JPG P6100016.JPG P6100018.JPG

Parameters are:
9.0 alk
420 calcium
1390 mag
0.03 phosphate
10 nitrate
And I had a totally clear ICP about 3 weeks ago.
I would welcome any suggestions

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 4 clams a few weeks ago and things aren't going well. I lost the blue squamosa about a week ago. It looked good Thursday was closed up Friday and totally dead by Saturday. My larger maxima seems ok. I have one smaller maxima that looks open and happy and one that has been closed the last 2 days but is definitely still alive.
Here are some pictures:

P6100014.JPG P6100016.JPG P6100018.JPG

Parameters are:
9.0 alk
420 calcium
1390 mag
0.03 phosphate
10 nitrate
And I had a totally clear ICP about 3 weeks ago.
I would welcome any suggestions
they like very strong light so id recommend putting them higher up on the rock work, with mine it got attacked by bristle worms on the sandbed, kept falling over halfway up and barely opening, up top its had no problems apart from a anemone attaching to it for half a hour

OP
OP
Maacc

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large maxima looks to be a goner. If the smaller one doesn't improve soon I'd try a freshwater dip. If you were to lose all the clams I'm not sure how long you would need to go fallow but I'd wait 6 months or more before adding another. I'd personally want more par on a maxima through out the day.
How long on the dip for the little maxima? I'm familiar with fish dipping I have never done it with a clam.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone from 15 to 30 minutes max. I would look up freshwater dip by James Fatheree. Ph match and temp freshwater to your tank water. It's worked wonders with our previous clams but the ones that were to far gone perished within 24 hours.

OP
OP
Maacc

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone from 15 to 30 minutes max. I would look up freshwater dip by James Fatheree. Ph match and temp match freshwater to your tank water. It's worked wonders with our previous clams but the ones that were to far gone perished within 24 hours.
Thanks alot for the help. Would you try with the big maxima or do you think there's no chance?

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big one is also bleached in the center. I agree that it is a goner. You may want to check if the other two have similar bleach points on the mantle. A central bleach can be caused by light shock but there could be other causes.

OP
OP
Maacc

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help, tried the fresh water dip and I lost both of them unfortunately :(
Last one left seems to be open and happy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back