Hitchhicker ID plz

Disturbancetkxe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to this stuff, the tank is about 8months old. I purchased 3 pieces of live rock this one with the most life and activity on it. The rock was purchased upon setup and every day more and more stuff appear. I have looked at a few hitchhicker guides and still couldn't figure out what is good / what is bad and should be removed. Any recommendations or guesses will be helpful.

hitchhickers.jpg

Sorry for the lower resolution point and shoot picture if you need a better picture I can try to get a buddy to take a picture with an SLR.

This piece of rock had two clams as you can see one opened and the bottom of another. I was wondering where I could pick up more clams like this type other than buying more live rock. I do love the maxima's and likes but with out having that much knowledge don't want to put that much money down on something so beautiful that I would probably kill.

and thank you for any help or any comments.

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its really hard to read your writing on the pics but the first one could be a psuedocorynactis, the second is really small might be just a small glass anemone or majano anemone, and the last im not sure about, it could be a small sea cucumber with its filter feeders extended while the body is hidden in the rock. hard to tell with the pic thought. i do know there is a aptasia in the upper right corner of the pic that looks like a little brown flower, that is a pest but be careful if you try to remove it because it can reproduce through pedal laceration (i think thats the term) where the pieces that fall off start new ones. if you can get a better pic im sure everyone here on R2R will be able to fig it out... also welcome to R2R

danka-cedium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see at least 3 aiptasia. mix up some kalk paste ( calcium hydroxide and water) it should be the same consistency as paste and smother the buggers.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one in the second and third pic is a Phyllangia

the last pic looks like some type of worm

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back