Hitchhickers

Enduring_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this little birdnest colony. Has I was dipping it I noticed there was three crabs one bigger one, one medium, and a really smaller one I got them out but I would like to know if they are good for the tank or not. Im new here and new to saltwater just started one a couple months ago so I have no idea what these crabs are.
1000004026.jpg

Jtuvey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an Emerald Crab. They are great part of your clean up crew. They eat algae and left over bits of food. What size of tank do you have? Three might be to many for your tank.

Last edited:

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this little birdnest colony. Has I was dipping it I noticed there was three crabs one bigger one, one medium, and a really smaller one I got them out but I would like to know if they are good for the tank or not. Im new here and new to saltwater just started one a couple months ago so I have no idea what these crabs are.
1000004026.jpg
Can you get some pictures under brighter, white light?

A top-down shot like this is great, and a pic of the crab's face and claws would be useful too.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks i didnt think they was emerald crabs my lfs sells them all the time and they dont look like them
I would say they're probably some type of crab that lives in acropora though. I just can't say if they are good or not. If they're good then you should keep them though bc thats a cool symbiotic relationship to have in your tank.

OP
OP
E

Enduring_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say they're probably some type of crab that lives in acropora though. I just can't say if they are good or not. If they're good then you should keep them though bc thats a cool symbiotic relationship to have in your tank.
yeah thats the thing no one can tell me for certain if they are good or bad. ive read some articles saying they are good and some say they are bad for a reef tank

OP
OP
E

Enduring_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a pic like this one but brighter, and a pic like the new one you posted but under white light instead of blue?

Shining a flashlight on the critter can work in a pinch to provide the brightness and white lighting.
that was a white light for the new picture they are in a quarantine tank that i just threw together for those crabs cause i dont want them in my tank

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was a white light for the new picture they are in a quarantine tank that i just threw together for those crabs cause i dont want them in my tank
Yeah, try shining a flashlight on it and getting a top-down pic - crabs like this can require really clear pics for an ID.

That said, I can tell you it's not a typical Acro/Coral Crab (Trapezia, Tetralia, and Cymo species) - so it's most likely not reef safe.

OP
OP
E

Enduring_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, try shining a flashlight on it and getting a top-down pic - crabs like this can require really clear pics for an ID.

That said, I can tell you it's not a typical Acro/Coral Crab (Trapezia, Tetralia, and Cymo species) - so it's most likely not reef safe.

Attachments

• 20240416_200130.jpg
    20240416_200130.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 17

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the claws look like they have flat tips on it? If yes, it’s likely some sort of Mithrax crab (emerald crab)

If the crabs have pointy claws, I’d say avoid putting in your tank.
Years ago (15 yrs) I had a Xanthid crab that had a similar body with the blotches. You definitely do not want it in your system…everything is potential food to them.

It’s really hard to make it out though with the pics you have taken and shared

OP
OP
E

Enduring_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the claws look like they have flat tips on it? If yes, it’s likely some sort of Mithrax crab (emerald crab)

If the crabs have pointy claws, I’d say avoid putting in your tank.
Years ago (15 yrs) I had a Xanthid crab that had a similar body with the blotches. You definitely do not want it in your system…everything is potential food to them.

It’s really hard to make it out though with the pics you have taken and shared
the claws are pointed. the legs are hairy they have black dots on their brownish colored bodies

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back