Hitchhiker coral?

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought live rock for my new tank and after 2 weeks I just found this guy. I’m amazed it survived the initial cycle. At first I thought it may have been an Aiptasia, but I can’t find any that look like this. I think it may be some type of mushroom coral that maybe bleached or turned brown during the cycle process. Anyone know what this is?

These are pics I just took with lights off. It’s about 1 1/2 inches in size with a base that extends down into the rock about 2 inches.

IMG_0781.jpeg IMG_0779.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a type of anemone not an aptasia

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the day when lights are on it doesn’t have the same extension. Is that normal for an anemone? I’ll try to get better pics during lights on.
Nope not normal per se….my ball tip nems though like darker corners of the tank…better pics will help

Try taking them straight on

You could use a flash light at night to try and get a pic

OP
OP
Mytoy

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, during the day it does have shortened polyps and the closest thing that I could find was a rhodactis, but it looks badly damaged. Is it possible that it browned, lost color, or was damaged some how during cycling? Have any of you seen this happen before?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you say where the rock came from?

The disk size compared to the tentacle size and overall number of tentacles also reminds me of a mini-maxi carpet anemone though the color (cannot really gauge without better light) does not. . .

Also RFA might be another guess, though the tentacle density/size seems off to the relative size of the oral disk makes me think it is not. Also, the way the "coral" is slightly folded in the second picture makes it look like the disk is rather thing which is not what I have observed in RFA:

1711683867926.png

1711683997599.png

Some other rarely seen in the aquarium trade coral or nem is always an options.

Will be interested to see better pictures.

Sorry for kinda pulling at straws haha but that it what I got based on what I can see.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, during the day it does have shortened polyps and the closest thing that I could find was a rhodactis, but it looks badly damaged. Is it possible that it browned, lost color, or was damaged some how during cycling? Have any of you seen this happen before?
Corals aren't harmed during "cycling". They literally eat ammonia.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Mytoy

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are some other pics. Hopefully better. I turned off my pumps and turned on just white lights. These are pics from the top, front and side of the tank as it’s in a corner. It still has polyp extension. I’ll take another pic later today after lights have been on for a while so you can see what it looks when lights are on.

The disk size compared to the tentacle size and overall number of tentacles also reminds me of a mini-maxi carpet anemone though the color (cannot really gauge without better light) does not. . .

Also RFA might be another guess, though the tentacle density/size seems off to the relative size of the oral disk makes me think it is not. Also, the way the "coral" is slightly folded in the second picture makes it look like the disk is rather thing which is not what I have observed in RFA:

1711683867926.png

1711683997599.png

Sorry for kinda pulling at straws haha but that it what I got based on what I can see.
Intereseting, I’ve kept RFA before and I see the resemblance except this retracts in the light. The rock came from KP Aquatics.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0796.jpeg
    IMG_0796.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Mytoy

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here are a couple of pics while my normal lighting schedule is ramping. The only difference is blue is also on, which it seems is too bright for this and it starts to flatten its polyps / tentacles. I’m starting to lean toward RFA, but I don’t recall RFA’a flattening like this during lights on. It’s low to mid level in the tank and my lights are currently at ~25% with ramp to 50% and it’s already starting to ‘flatten’ out.

Crappy pics, but I think you can see retraction I’m talking about especially along the edges.

IMG_0804.jpeg IMG_0803.jpeg

OP
OP
Mytoy

Mytoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many varieties of aptaisia anemone.
I think you have them.

Screenshot_20240329_093624_Chrome.jpg

Possible, although, the tentacles are not as long as these pics and it has smaller tenticales surrounding its’ mouth. Also, it’s currently flat agains the rock almost like a mushroom would flatten out. I’m still leaning more towards an RFA.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you got the rock from florida gulf or kpa, it coukd be a rock flower anemone.

1711683867926.png

1711683997599.png

Agreeing with this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back