Hitchhiker Coral?

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some new live rock from KP Aquatics, and this came in on one of them. I expected it would die off in my curing and QT process, but it survived and seems to be thriving now. It seems to have polyps of some kind that I didn't notice when in QT, as they wave around in the flow in the tank. Hasn't really colored up much (maybe just slightly green, but otherwise essentially still brown) since added. Maybe some kind of short goniopora?

20200225_181007.jpg

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello — looks like clove polyps to me
I have clove polyps and GSP in a different system and I'm pretty sure these are not that because the base seems almost hard. The polyps come out of small holes in it and not from a soft mat like those do. I'll try and get a picture of when the polyps are retracted.

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking they look like sympodium.
I'm not very familiar with those, but everything I Google looks like clove polyps where the fingers of the polyps are not just single lines but have a kind of bristle look. This is a zoomed in picture, but still hard to tell in the picture that each polyp just has a fingers/petals that are single lines radiating out.

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some new live rock from KP Aquatics, and this came in on one of them. I expected it would die off in my curing and QT process, but it survived and seems to be thriving now. It seems to have polyps of some kind that I didn't notice when in QT, as they wave around in the flow in the tank. Hasn't really colored up much (maybe just slightly green, but otherwise essentially still brown) since added. Maybe some kind of short goniopora?

20200225_181007.jpg

Siderastrea Radians maybe? Never seen the polyps that extended though.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i vote galaxy

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
encrusting gorgonia
I tried to get pictures of it with polyps closed, but it never did last night from what I could see. Based on that, and general look and basic research, I'm going with it is probably an encrusting gorgonian of some kind. I'll keep an eye on it, and watch the growth patterns to see if it can confirm. Thanks to everyone for your input, and a big thanks to KP Aquatics for some amazing live rock with great biodiversity!

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh neat — Galaxea?
i vote galaxy

None in Caribbean.

I tried to get pictures of it with polyps closed, but it never did last night from what I could see. Based on that, and general look and basic research, I'm going with it is probably an encrusting gorgonian of some kind. I'll keep an eye on it, and watch the growth patterns to see if it can confirm. Thanks to everyone for your input, and a big thanks to KP Aquatics for some amazing live rock with great biodiversity!

Looks very close to encrusting Gorgonian. Final Vote is for either encrusting Gorgonian or Briareum

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back