Finally! Natalie's 180 Gallon Shallow Reef

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even explain how excited I am to be starting this build. I had this tank built over 5 years ago, but a temporary transfer out of state (to Montana for what ended up being 3 1/2 years), moving home to CO, buying our house, and baby #3 all delayed the project. However, we have finally started (somewhat) and off we go. Hooray!

Since when we moved to MT, I sold off almost all my equipment (except the 92 gallon tank that was home to the lovely lady in the photo for 6 years), I have a lot of equipment choices to make.
clam.jpg

But first, we are renovating the entry of the house for this tank. We have new floors, so we put a floating tile floor down to catch any salt, etc. We drilled through the floors, as the sump and large refugium will be in the basement directly below the display.
fish tank.PNG

mudroom.PNG

Here's what I know for sure so far:

Equipment I already own:
180 gallon shallow reef (48"x48"x18")
4x Giesemann Vervve LED
92 gallon remote refugium, to be planted with seagrasses and macros
Refugium lights 2x Kessil A360 Blue Tuna (I also have a 2x 150w MH Sunpod I could add here if necessary)
IceCap 36XL sump

Next steps:
Plan plumbing
Plan water storage/change area (this is in an unfinished basement, so can be built for convenience)
Build stand

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for stopping in and looking! I am glad to have found this forum -- so friendly. :)

My favorite part of a reef is actually the ecosystem -- biodiversity and teeming with life and funny little creatures -- so the thing I know for sure is I'll order "The Package" from TBS.

I've never actually tried my hand at SPS, so I would like to do that at least in part. My concern with the shallow depth is some limitation in type here, but tabling/plating types could be awesome. I also intend to select all CB fish.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for stopping in and looking! I am glad to have found this forum -- so friendly. :)

My favorite part of a reef is actually the ecosystem -- biodiversity and teeming with life and funny little creatures -- so the thing I know for sure is I'll order "The Package" from TBS.

I've never actually tried my hand at SPS, so I would like to do that at least in part. My concern with the shallow depth is some limitation in type here, but tabling/plating types could be awesome. I also intend to select all CB fish.
Sounds like a great plan.
One of the members of the forum here started his tank with the TBS package.
Just look for @d2mini. His tank is one of the best I have seen with great diversity in fish, coral and other creatures.

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great plan.
One of the members of the forum here started his tank with the TBS package.
Just look for @d2mini. His tank is one of the best I have seen with great diversity in fish, coral and other creatures.
Oh my gosh! Thank you for the lead on that build thread. I can't put it down!

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Hey thanks for asking!

I wish I could say we had a lot more done, but life got kinda crazy for my darling husband for a bit there and I'm counting on him to help with the actual building of the room.

He was able to get me this fun new rendering done:
fullsizeoutput_1a84.jpeg

We got the floor laid:

56900555148__CEC986AE-7E2D-4499-86CD-3D7F81D045F0.jpg

I'm sure I could find a better picture of the floor, but that one has the little guy in it so it wins :)

And I've been SORT OF keeping myself patient with this little 9gal nano
Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 5.38.34 PM.png

The glass could totally use a scrape, but I just added 2 trochus last week so I'm leaving all that to them for now instead of taking their chow. Yes, let's go with that excuse. Ha. It has a Kessil A360 over it running a max of 10%. Too funny. I really need to buy a smaller light.

We are starting the actual putting of wood to walls this weekend!

I do have a few questions I'd welcome some opinions on:

Those windows are under a covered patio, but some light comes in, though it's not direct sunlight -- anyone have a similar situation? I am not intending to purchase more robust window covers unless I must. With the 93 gallon macro refugium plumbed in sucking up nutrients, and the fact that no direct sunlight comes in, I have a suspicion that I won't need the windows darkened. Thoughts?

I am looking at the Sicce Syncra SDC WiFi 9.0 for a return pump. It's able to adjust from 1000-2500 gph and I can control it from an app instead of having to run downstairs. I will lose some of that power with a 13' head though. Anyone use this pump? Good or bad experiences?

I'm also looking at the Deltec 1000i skimmer with the self-cleaning head. Anyone use this?

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
233A8FB7-6E63-4BD1-8C4F-4D05DE25F0AC.jpeg

Weekend update!

Pulled the tank out of its moving crate in the basement and got it into its new home.

Cleaned it up.

Decided to polish out the scratches while it’s empty.

Bought the requisite sandpapers and Novus 1, 2, 3.

Learned that polishing acrylic is a gigantic PITA and has a learning curve.

Ordered a new overflow and awesome cover from Octo Aquatics!

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not getting any replays from the Pros on this build ,,, I am not a Pro so keep that in mind ,,, but I have concerns ,, I love the size of the tank ,, but everything else has me concerned ,,

I don't like the light that will be going into this tank from the outside ,, that may not be a big deal as long as you have researched the issue ,, I have seen tanks that have solar tubes coming from their roofs lighting their tanks ,, I have seen tanks that are pretty much outside in the warmer climates that people have posted ,, so it must not be that big of a deal ,,, My only other issue ,, cleaning the glass on the two sides next to the windows are going to be a pain ,, unless you have thought of something that's going to make it not a pain ,,

Other than that ,, I really like this tank ,,

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back