OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what it looks like now. It's 16' from the wall to the support. I am standing where the sump will be when taking this photo. The 2nd photo is the engineer's advice. She said she does not believe the tank would fall through the floor or anything, but that reinforcing the support will prevent sway, creaks, etc. So, we will definitely reinforce before we fill.

IMG_1675.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 7.26.38 PM.png

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this build, super unique. Why is the overflow so low, or is it an optical illusion?
Good eye.

I originally had it built to be a palludarium. That’s a freshwater tank where the plants emerge from the top of the water.

The new overflow, which is normal height, was custom made by OctoAquatics and arrived last week. It’s awesome — I’ll drop a photo in once I install it.

Joel Kingsland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this build and it looks great. The only concern I have is with the metal hangers used for your cross members. They will not like the salt water one little bit and will rust. Best to have notched 1x or 2x for hangers with the screwed to the main beams. If not make sure they get coated with polyurethane or something else to keep salt air and spray off them. Other than that, very cool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this build and it looks great. the only concern I have is with the metal hangers used for you cross members. they will not like the salt water one little bit and will rust. best to have notched 1x or 2x for hangers with the screwed to the main beams. other than that, very cool.

Hi. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

The sump and all equipment is in the basement — should be pretty darn dry in there, and the stand is skinned so I can’t see how any stray drips could get to those. Do you still anticipate that being an issue?

Thanks

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poof! Five months gone like THAT!
A whole bunch of life happened, some lovely trips (the last ones without worrying about leaks or a tank sitter!), but I’m back in action now.

The floor support was actually really simple
F1663ABA-9A3F-43E3-ADF6-269A4DD88B8F.jpeg

And today, friends..... Things. Are. Happening.
38C3A23A-3F69-4204-93AB-4FBA7196A81E.jpeg

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekend update:

I made a few changes to the plan.

Instead of a 3/4” return and a single Durso, I changed to 2 1” returns and a bean animal. This complicated the plumbing piece of the build but is obviously the right choice for a system of this size and that beast of a pump. Enlarging one existing hole (used a Dremel and it worked perfectly) and drilling 3 holes for the drain pipes is done, everything is cleaned up, and bulkheads are installed.

B141BE14-9D5D-4FAF-B3D6-0C3B299CA449.jpeg

Instead of using my 93 gallon corner as a refugium, I’m going to use a 40 breeder. This is easier to plumb and easier to light (far shallower).

We made the stand for downstairs to hold the sump, refugium, and pump.

326BE0C1-93E1-4DDC-981E-B308AE949EA5.jpeg

RODI is installed and the first 50 gallons are made and waiting.

I ordered 400 gallons’ worth of Tropic Marin Pro Reef, a Tunze ATO, 4 Hanna checkers, 80 lbs of sand (the rest will come in “The Package”), a few pieces of those neat LifeRock shapes, and a few more misc things. I also talked to Richard at TBS about customizing The Package.

Next weekend we need to move that outlet up and enclose it in a weather proof box, build and mount the manifold, plumb the refugium to be fed by the manifold and gravity-drain to the return section of the sump, drill the sump and attach to the pump, and start dry fitting the rest of the plumbing.

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my word I’m so happy with how this weir turned out!

0DEA26CC-F64E-487A-88DD-859305C6F396.jpeg

I think my husband did an amazing job cutting all 90 holes evenly :D

Today we also dry-fit the rest of the plumbing behind the weir, built and glued the manifold, placed the returns and cut holes for them in the weir, moved the outlet in the basement and enclosed it in a box and went to Home Depot 3 times (whoops, lol)
70C32BCB-6F66-461F-8205-B5B71C99178D.jpeg

Tomorrow, when the light is good, I’ll share a photo of how nicely the overflow box turned out.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the dimensions of that tank, your husband did an amazing job on the weir. That is no easy task making all the holes evenly spaced. Have you considered just running the main drain from your tank into the fuge instead of plumbing it off the manifold?

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the dimensions of that tank, your husband did an amazing job on the weir. That is no easy task making all the holes evenly spaced. Have you considered just running the main drain from your tank into the fuge instead of plumbing it off the manifold?

thanks!
Yes, I did consider that.

I thought the 2700ish gph would be pretty wild flying through a 40b though. Plus I like the ability the manifold gives me to separate or shut off the fuge if I need to.

OP
OP
NatD

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! Plumbing dry fit is all done!

Beananimal overflow (primary and secondary drains are both 1.5”, emergency is 2”) and 2 1” returns with @Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generators.

Now that it’s all dry fit, I need to glue the pvc. Then I’ll use Weld-on 16 to attach the weir to the black acrylic sides of the overflow box. The lid of the overflow box fits perfectly but won’t be attached — will keep critters out but will still allow me to access what’s inside. I’m also putting black acrylic across the back of the tank behind the overflow/plumbing box to keep light out and prevent algae.

DFB2A2D1-606D-4177-A010-7DF3139E9915.jpeg
33333279-81E8-4A7C-8FF4-4ECA704697CD.jpeg

Look at all these new reef toys! It’s better than Christmas in here!
1A7FC51A-E11D-4C0A-A462-3CA01BCCC5DD.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back