Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This "hitchhiker" was found in a creek in Illinois (fossilized) in the 1950s.

It was about a foot long.

It's elongated and flat and shaped like a torpedo.

It has a long "snout", that has teeth at the end of it.

It's also got eyes on the end of long rigid eyestalks.

Here's a pic of it. https://www.scientificamerican.com/...onster-a-fish-a-worm-a-giant-slug-with-fangs/

Please help ID the Tully Monster :)
Comes off of Florida ocean rock. Reef safe with caution, best left in the sump. Will regulate its own population based on how much you feed.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comes off of Florida ocean rock. Reef safe with caution, best left in the sump. Will regulate its own population based on how much you feed.
Did you read the post at all?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know. Lots of people throw out answers without actually reading the question these days. You are probably right though.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, the article itself is interesting. Even though the fossil is semi-famous for its weirdness, (state fossil of illinois), Scientists have been arguing since the 60s about what kind of thing it actually is. They can't even agree if its a vertebrate or not. Hence the thread title.
They've gone back and forth over the years, looked at structures which they've alternately interpreted as a gut, or a notochord. In 2016, looked at a few different things and argued that it was a primitive cartilaginous fish like a lamprey or hagfish, about the most basic vertebrate possible.
This article was about a new paper that tried to kick the tully monster back to the invertebrates.

"The team concluded that several traits that were linked to vertebrates in previous studies—such as gill pouches, a trilobed brain and fin rays—were either missing from the fossils or were not structurally similar to the traits seen in vertebrates. The researchers also used x-ray microcomputed tomography scans to analyze the clawlike nozzle at the end of the Tully Monster’s fossilized “trunk” and determined that the nozzle’s prickly fangs were not similar to the teeth of modern jawless fish such as lampreys.

According to Mikami, the Tully Monster’s segmentation is another key difference. “I think the most important thing is that we found the segmentation in the head region,” he says. The Tully Monster’s segmentation extends in front of its eyes, an arrangement that is not seen in any vertebrate lineage."

So it might be segmented like a polycheate worm or arthropod or something.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He
Given the source, I think I am...

BTW, the article itself is interesting. Even though the fossil is semi-famous for its weirdness, (state fossil of illinois), Scientists have been arguing since the 60s about what kind of thing it actually is. They can't even agree if its a vertebrate or not. Hence the thread title.
They've gone back and forth over the years, looked at structures which they've alternately interpreted as a gut, or a notochord. In 2016, looked at a few different things and argued that it was a primitive cartilaginous fish like a lamprey or hagfish, about the most basic vertebrate possible.
This article was about a new paper that tried to kick the tully monster back to the invertebrates.

"The team concluded that several traits that were linked to vertebrates in previous studies—such as gill pouches, a trilobed brain and fin rays—were either missing from the fossils or were not structurally similar to the traits seen in vertebrates. The researchers also used x-ray microcomputed tomography scans to analyze the clawlike nozzle at the end of the Tully Monster’s fossilized “trunk” and determined that the nozzle’s prickly fangs were not similar to the teeth of modern jawless fish such as lampreys.

According to Mikami, the Tully Monster’s segmentation is another key difference. “I think the most important thing is that we found the segmentation in the head region,” he says. The Tully Monster’s segmentation extends in front of its eyes, an arrangement that is not seen in any vertebrate lineage."

So it might be segmented like a polycheate worm or arthropod or something.
Definitely an interesting read. Still, not something I would want to find while scraping bubble algae in my tank at night!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back