Hitchhiker ID

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a frag from a guy and these tiny things are inside the bag. What are they? Do I want them? I am going to dip the frag, but should I keep them?

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can't see the video, try posting pictures, or make a YouTube video, and post the link here.

I can see the video now. Are you asking about the little arms, or the things that the arms are on?
It's something moving around on the bag with tentacles that move like something on a sea urchin or the bottom of a starfish.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the way it moves it is probably a starfish. Asterina are a common hitchiker, so it would be my guess, but I'm not sure. As for keeping or not, there are reports of some species eating zoas and spreading fast, but I have no experience with them.
That sounds logical. The last thing I need is an asterina plague. Thanks everyone!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's something moving around on the bag with tentacles that move like something on a sea urchin or the bottom of a starfish.
Yup, as @Dipi said, it is most likely a asterina starfish. They are harmless, but can multiply very quick, and some are known to eat some corals. I would just take it out, and not leave it in your tank.

Only some species eat corals though, but I would still just remove it, because you never know. Could save you some headaches down the road.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back